Advanced Indicator Rig Instructional Video

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Cotta, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jason Cotta New Member

North Bend, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Hey Guys,
    We put together this video for our newsletter and thought I would share it with ya'll.

Stuff you need:
    -30-40lb Mono (Super Stron AR or Maxima work great)
    -Old Fly Line
    -Thingamabobbers
    -Barrel Swivel (I like the P-Line swivels)
    -0X, 1X, 2X Fluorocarbon Tippet
    -Split Shot or Tungsten Putty
    -Your favorite steelhead flies or beads/hooks
    -Steelhead River
    -Hungry Fish!!!

Hope you enjoy it, learn a few things, and hook up! If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

Regards,
    Jason Cotta
    Fishing Manager
    Orvis Bellevue, WA
    John Hicks and David Dalan like this.
  2. CLO Skykchromish Light Saber

Seattle
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    What would you recommend to avoid the barrel swivel?
  3. Jason Cotta New Member

North Bend, WA
    CLO,
    I like the barrel swivel as it makes the transition between 40lb and the 0X much easier. It also helps prevent line twist when fishing large rubber legs. If you wanted to avoid the swivel you could do a simple loop to loop between the 40lb and 0X. Just tie a prefect loop in the end of the 40lb and a perfection loop in the end of the 0X loop them together. Here is an animated knot guide if you haven't done the perfection loop before.

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

If you have any more questions let me know. Thanks and have a great day!

Regards,
    Jason
    CLO likes this.
  4. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    Why not just use bobber stops instead of old fly line?
    David Dalan likes this.
  5. Jason Cotta New Member

North Bend, WA
    Irafly,
    Excellent point! Bobber stops work great for this as well. I always seem to just use old line since there is generally a plethora of it laying around my apartment and the shop.

Jason
    Irafly likes this.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    After re-watching how quickly you can make those up, I don't think it matters.

With that much weight on the end, I imagine that the bottom stop may not even be necessary. But then again I guess your flies and weight wouldn't need to worry about the extra drag of the inside of the indicator in order to make it to depth.

I've played around with the concept while fishing deep in lakes as an alternative to slip indicators. It works and can be easier to cast but I need a larger indicator in order to make up for the extra weight added in order to pull the line through that same indicator to bring it to the stop. After awhile it just felt like gear fishing.
  7. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +725 / 0
    Rigging with a slip should work well, and you can (most people would rather not) go from heavy mono section to fluorocarbon with double nail knots.
  8. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    with a rig like that, is it not gear fishing? :confused:
  9. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +382 / 0
    flyfish
  10. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    Jason, great vid for newbs trying to learn!

I'll just throw this out there; from my personal experience, triple wrapping the bead is a sure way to lose fish. I've lost too many to count. PIN for the win!
  11. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    There's a gray area and everyone needs to decide what works and is fun for them. That's not really any different than how most people rig nymphs for trout. If a plastic bead doesn't suit your fancy, use another nymph or tie a traditional egg pattern.

I've yet to fish for steelhead, but I'm sure this is how I'd do it. It's more familiar after growing up nymphing trout water.
    Steve Knapp likes this.
  12. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I like a Lamiglas X 96JC with a Curado 201 E7 with Beau Mac floats and bobber stops for this type of fishing. I tie my "flies" on a hooks with big lead eyes usually in pink and white colors or egg sucking leech styles. Generally, I will drop a bead "fly" off the weighted fly. My buddies and I call this rig the "panty dropper".

The casting style is a slight variation of the fly cast except I snag the bushes a lot less. Mending the drift is easier too.

I should add that I frequently forget this setup at home and accidentally grab my Burkheimer 7125-3 with a Hardy Uniqua from the 1930s. :)
  13. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

Exactly....Just get a centerpin rod, and gear fish...bobber, splitshot, etc etc...ABra CAdabra.....Peanut Butter Sandwiches...POOF!!....... and the fly rod magically turns into a gear rod!
    TomB and KerryS like this.
  14. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Thats the one thing that always strikes me about indicator fishing, with a fly line the physics are a bass ackwards. With a float setup (10'6" casting rod, level wind, 15# maxima main) I can lift the rod and keep 20-40' of line completely air born without moving the float. Even more with bigger floats and heavier jigs. With a fly line, its far more complicated. And freespooling is much easier as well.

I know it is very effective (indicator fishing), but always seems like going the hard way. I like dragging bottom or Euronymphing, but thats whats so cool...there are tons of choices!
  15. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +173 / 0
    Isn't that the reason many folks use a fly rod for this type of fishing? The same could be said for swinging flies and instead of using a spey rod, just use a spinning rod and some form of blue fox inline spinner.

For the record, I both swing and nymph with my fly rod and enjoy both quite a bit. Personally, I enjoy challenging myself to see what different types of presentations I can accomplish with a fly rod (yes, to do either well, you have to work at it)

Cheers,
    Randy

also, I'm not surprised that a thread of this nature has taken the direction it has...all too predictable :rolleyes:

preparingtogetjumpedforpointingouttheobvious.
  16. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Whoa nelly! Im just chatting, not judging.
  17. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +173 / 0
    oh I know, so was I. it didn't really come off that way though, I suppose...

That last statement wasn't really in response to yours, but more from others above and just a feeling in general for how these things go.
  18. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Yeah fish however you want! I just shared my preferred nymphing setup.

I have caught plenty of salmon, steelhead, and char with an indicator on a fly rod. It is still a lot of fun!
  19. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    No problem. I save being an ass for special occasions :)
    Randall Clark likes this.
  20. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    Shit, somehow I got lost and stumbled into iFish...anybody know how to get back to the WFF?

Big difference between feeding fish and finding players.