Advanced Indicator Rig Instructional Video

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Cotta, Oct 17, 2013.

1. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    Nate treat says it is flyfishing..................good enough for me.
    plaegreid and constructeur like this.
  2. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    steelheaders should just take a page from northwest saltwater fly fishing, where the industry has embraced gear fishing and calling it fly fishing. shortcut fly fishing has won and we need to just accept it.....

or not ;)
  3. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    short cut to chromers...........Nate treats phone number
  4. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +898 / 1
    Thanks Charles, you didn't really answer the question, but I appreciate your defense of the way I choose to fish (with indicators and nymphs). Now the semantics are interesting, so telling someone that they are using gear to fish is not the same as calling them a gear fisherman. Feel free to call me whatever you like, or Jason for that matter, I won't be offended, I just dont understand your need to do so if you don't care, knowing that it does bother others. I'm with you on the fact that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent, but I generally don't attempt to test the theory.

Now again, when does it become gear fishing? If the fisher for me could not throw the same rig effectively with a spinning rod and non-fly line, why call it gear fishing? This indicator rig that Jason describes could not be thrown with a traditional spinning rod without major modifications, therefore I don't buy your premise that is a fact that is "gear" fishing.
  5. golfman65 dude...

blaine wa.
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    when the sage xp came out it was a favorite of the centerpin crowd up in b.c. were they fly fishing?

interestingly no one who fished gear cared..but when not fly fishing I guess it does...
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,387 / 0
    Ira,

Doncha' remember, there is no LEAD in fly fishing. Fly fishing = rods made of split cane or greenheart, reels made in England, lines of silk, leaders and tippets of natural gut, flies tied on steel hooks with natural feathers, fur, wool, silk, and no synthetic materials whatever. Veer from that, and you're just a mouth-breathin', knuckle-draggin', bait chucker. That's the gospel of Walton, Gordon, Hues, Halford, etc., ya' know, the guys who invented modern fly fishing.

Sg
    Irafly likes this.
  7. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +449 / 0
    I want to make this perfectly clear: I did not call you anything. Nothing. Saying that fishing with lead shot and a bobber is gear fishing is not a personal statement about you. Christ, If you have an opinion anymore, you can't tell anyone or someones gonna take it personal.

As far as you questions- it ceased being flyfishing when you used lead shot and a bobber. Weighted flies can be debated but Jesus, a bobber? And your just wrong regarding throwing a bobber with a spinning reel. I've done it. It works. It works well. Hell, as a child I used worms and no weight on a spinning real to catch brookies. You would use the mono that would lay on the water as an indicator. It was not flyfishing. I caught a lot of fish that way.

Clearly, you and I disagree about whether nymphing with lead and a bobber is flyfishing. It can be a fine and easy discussion if you keep from telling me that I'm calling you or anyone else anything. It isn't a personal attack, it's a damn opinion (and the correct one). The fact that it bothers others is really their problem. I shouldn't have to change an opinion because having it bothers someone. It bothers the hell out of me that people are Yankee fans. I also know it'd be damn boring if everyone wasa Red Sox fan. Although it would show that public shools were improving :).

Oh, and I care about whether it's flyfishing for the same reason you care that it is, in all likelyhood. That reason is...it's my opinion.

Go Sox,
    cds
    Bob Triggs and Yard Sale like this.
  8. Chris DeLeone Active Member

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Charles please stop calling it a bobber - thats rude in my opinion and your hurting feelings on the board. Please refer to it as an "indicator" that kind of compromise will make many more on the board feel better about their method of fishing
  9. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +898 / 1
    Charles, I didn't say that you called me anything, man you got your panties in a bunch quite a bit for a guy who claims offense is in the eye of the beholder. By the way, did you read my part where I say the set up mentioned? That is not a bobber, it is a thingamabobber, get your facts as you call them right for crist sake.

So to you any indicator and weighted anything is gear fishing, and your opinion is right and everyone else is wrong? Did I read that correctly? If so I really don't care about your opinion anymore cause your just plain loony. If I read it wrong, please clarify.
  10. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    "Feel free to call me whatever you like, or Jason for that matter, I won't be offended, I just dont understand your need to do so if you don't care, knowing that it does bother others." Much of my last post was in response to this.

I would say that bobber and split shot are gear, every time, all the time. And having seen anglers use both with spinning reels and noodle rods in GL trib.'s I'll tell you, they are effective.

I would not hold an opinion if I thought it was incorrect. That would be dumb.

My panties are fine. My head hurts though. I feel a bit like Lewis Black, truthfully.

The whole argument about what is gear/ fly fishing is like the supreme court obsenity ruling. It's hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

Go Sox,
    cds
  11. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I have friend that I grew up with. We've known each other since 3rd grade. I tie him egg sucking leeches and send them to him. He fishes them with a spinning reel and a couple pinches of weight a foot or so above the fly. He does so with much success. He fishes them in a similar manner that I do with my Switch Rod. It is interesting, I use a section of T-whatever to help get the fly down and use about 2-3 ft of leader below it. He uses a little pinch weight. I know when a fish has taken the fly by watching the floating section of my fly line and when it does something fishy, or I feel the tug on the line. He knows when a fish has taken his fly by watching where is mono enters the water and by the feel of the tug/tap on the line. The only real difference here is the reel and what material is on it. The difference are mainly aesthetics with the exception that he can fish that seam on the other side of the fast current much more effectively than I because his line does not get swept down current and pull his fly out of the sweet spot.

I have no interest in fishing his way and he has little interest to fish mine. I have little doubt that either of us would have much difficulty learning the others methods, but we just don't want to. To me, if I fished his method, then I wouldn't be fly fishing and to him he doesn't see many difference between his method and mine because we both fish flies and get them down with weight of some sort. He've both understood this from day 1, but have never needed to debate over it. We understand how each other feels about it and completely accept it.
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,537 / 0
    Charles, I didn't know you wore panties. Do all Red Sox fans wear panties? Do any of the Red Sox players wear panties? With or without lace? This is of vital importance to determine whom to root for in the upcoming World Series.
  13. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Kerry,

I do not know the underwear preference for any members of the Red Sox. I am a boxer man. I find that my boys prefer a little room. I would wear whatever my wife wanted if she cared. You know, being a good partner and all. I would not bead however. That's a bit too much even for a B'ham socially liberal guy.

You can root for whomever you would like unless you show up to watch a game at my house. Of course, I watch the games like I fish generally.......alone.

Go Sox,
    cds
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,537 / 0
    I bet Ortiz wears panties. Napoli has that panty look also.

Oh well, I will likely be rooting for the Sox even if they are panty wearers.
  15. golfman65 dude...

blaine wa.
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    go cardinals...can't root for bearded panty wearers...

bet they put beads in their beards too..
  16. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Is this what your extensive experience with 240+ lb bearded panty wearing men leads you to believe? Lots of cold nights back in the day on Lopez?

I just hope that this world series goes the way the last did when they played.

Go Sox,
    cds
  17. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
    And really, a bobber is used sub-surface (aka a Lil' Corky), where a float is used as an indicator. My hands are literally shaking with pure, unbridled rage as I type this.

Next time please consider how butthurt I get over tiny things before posting.
    Jonathan Tachell likes this.
  18. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
  19. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    About as wrong as those people who think slinging lead and a bobber is fly fishing...
    TallFlyGuy likes this.