Advanced Indicator Rig Instructional Video

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Cotta, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +213 / 0
    Not with the amount of lead you'd use on a nymph rig. I'm sure you could cast some of the big heavy cone head streamers people swing with (sculpzilla, etc) on a gear rod with no additional weight needed though.
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,761 / 0
    You missed the point...
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,143 / 4
    I'd be willing to bet I could lob a chunk of T-14 and an intruder with a gear rod easily enough
  4. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I'd say Kerry makes a good point though.

You might be able to fling a cast out there with a nymph rig or t-whatever on a gear rod--but would you be able to cast it effectively for the situation? Would you be able to fish it effectively?

To me, fly casting=fly fishing. There are limits to how far you can take that, and I would put the line between the two (gear and fly) somewhere around where those limits are.

Take beach fishing for example. I could tie a jig to look like a pink/white clouser and fish that with a spinning rod. Or I can tie a regular clouser with dumbell eyes (or even something lighter and throw on a couple pieces of splilt shot) and fish that with a fly rod. Both are going to do about the same thing. Both are mention to have a certain action and fish a certain way. But you can't really interchange them effectively without changing some things.

I kept telling myself I wouldn't enter this. But Kerry struck a chord there, I guess.
    Irafly likes this.
  5. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    "I kept telling myself I wouldn't enter this."

Same here. I tried hijacking this thing but that didn't work either. There will be no convincing anyone in either direction. This argument will continue on and on and on.
    David Dalan and Nick Clayton like this.
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Yep. It's fun though. At least as long as people don't get offended by other's opinions. Oh wait, I forgot, this is the internet.

I'd like to hear some more stories about people throwing things like Dick Nite's with the spey rod. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that at some point this winter, just for the hell of it, and probably after several beers.
  7. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +213 / 0
    Gotcha. Read it too quickly. I'm also not here to change anyone's mind - just bored at work! Hell, I haven't done either for steelhead so what do I know?
  8. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +440 / 0
    dick nites on a fly rod totally work. They're way lighter than a lot of the hefty flies the Spey bro'z chuck.
  9. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +411 / 0
    $.02- I don't really care so much about definitions, but more the attitude that comes with bead fishing, and I have a dedicated bead rig (10' spinning set up) for kids and newbs in the boat at all times.

Anymore (for guides) it's about getting people on fish, bottom line. Rowing over others water? That's cool now. Fishing right below someone that's currently swinging a run? That's how we do on the Columbia tribs.

It's not like holding a fish out of water for a pic or 3 is a huge deal to such a robust fish, but to teach people that the rules are to be followed as you see fit, is lamesauce.

Can't remember the last time I saw a dude swinging being a douchewaffle out on the drink.
    tkww, Jason Rolfe and PT like this.
  10. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    Well said.
  11. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +754 / 0
    This X infinity.

well said!
  12. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0

For the most part this is what I've seen as well, with the exception of the last statement. D-bags are D-bags regardless of the way they fish. I've run across them in all forms of angling. My motto is and always has been, pay attention to who's around me...How would I feel if someone stepped in this close to me?

You also have to keep in mind that this isn't about on-stream ethics, it's more about different "rules" for different types of anglers. Gear guys don't seem to mind being shoulder to shoulder, so they don't necessarily know (or care) about the spey guys arbitrary rules.

Now, guides who side drift their clients right through a run where an angler is working should know better. Bottom line, greed is what drives them.

Nice giant hijack from what the OP original intent when this thread was started...great job folks. :rolleyes:
  13. pbunbury Tights Lines

Ratings: +34 / 0
    At least everyone on here is passionate! Maybe the Steelhead have a fighting chance.

As far as right vs wrong, to each their own. My motto, if you're not breaking any laws or being an asshole, then do whatever makes you happy. Better yet, do it with a smile. We've been blessed with a diverse and often times challenging sport and the scenery in which we get to experience it is unbeatable. Tight lines everyone!

Truth be told I just wanted to see if my post would make this thread turn into 7 pages
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Uninformed statement. Many who have posted on this thread are involved with many different aspects of steelhead management ranging from habitat improvement projects to political action at the state and federal goverment levels.
    Chris DeLeone likes this.
  15. pbunbury Tights Lines

Ratings: +34 / 0

Poor wording on my part. I was not attempting to imply anything about what people on this message board are or are not doing.
  16. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +448 / 0
    yes, and i bet it would be eequally as awesome and graceful as when you do it on your 800 dollar sage with bobber and bead in tow. indicators are just buck fluffing, nothing more. and as for the bead guys having no etiquette i agree. I've been lowholed by more guides than i care to count. and no I'm not sensitive, but thirty feet below me its not enough room.
  17. dustinchromers president: Slayers Club

Barton, OR
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Bros! I think this set up is awesome! Sometimes I like to switch up my bead rig by threading on a P-P-P-P-Power Cricket!!!
    plaegreid likes this.
  18. CLO coho where are you?

Seattle
    Ratings: +315 / 0
    How do you guys rig up an egg sucking dicknite under a bobber?
  19. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +448 / 0
    yes power crickets, beads, and bobbers. all tools of the steelhead fly angler.
  20. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,178 / 0
    All this talk of fly fishing with even people who are hucking T14 with 1/2 a chicken claiming to be fly fishing. I fail to see how that is fly fishing as we all know if it is not a dry fly, it is gear fishing. This weekend, I will be engaging in 'real' fly fishing for steelhead, skating a dry using a classic Fenwick glass rod and a JW Young reel loaded with a double taper line. I may also skate with a bamboo spey rod. Everything else is just filthy gear fishing, IMHO.

Oh, wait, corkies are gear? But what if I incorporate it into a fly? Does that mean I am fishing gear when I am skating a dry fly with deer hair and a corkie body even if I use a bamboo spey rod or old glass rod and classic reel? I am so confused... This fly best my represents my view on the subject, LOL:

[IMG]
    plaegreid and constructeur like this.