advice needed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lmwaddy, Jun 18, 2002.

1. lmwaddy New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I will be in Seattle from July 2-6 to visit my girlfriends parents. I am from Texas and do a bit of fly fishing down here. I will undoubtedly need to break away from the "family" to maintain my sanity. I was hoping someone could tell me about a river or stream where I can wade fish for trout in the Seattle area. I don't mind hiking to a spot and would actually prefer it. Any advice would be helpful, but specifically where to go, how to get there, and what flies to use. I promise to catch and release.
    Thanks,
    -Leon M. waddy
  2. Scott Emmert Scott Emmert

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Easy Answer. Middle fork of the Snoqualmie river. 45 Minutes away. Head East on I-90 from Seattle. Exit 34. Left at stop sign. Past the gas stations. Right onto Middlefork Road. After 2 miles the road turns to dirt. The road follows the river for 10+ miles. Stop anywhere you see good water. The farther you drive the better the water gets. In july, the water should be heading down and the dry fly fishing starts to get going. With the right fly you can expect 8-10 inch fish. Some 12-14 if your lucky. Standard flies like an Adams Irresistble or Blue Winged Olive have brought me fish. If you need an attactor, try a yellow humpy. Nyphing is a great option early in the season and my preference. Prince nymphs, and pheasant tails are standard fair. Wether you get fish or not the scenery is worth the trip. Its a great river with great access.

Have Fun,
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

I agree with you,but if you go tooo far up the road say past the Taylor river you will need a four wheel drive. That road up there is like a goat trail and just as smooth. Went up it with my Subaru wagon and all I lost was a hub cap. That is one rough road. Jim