Advice on deciding all-round boat. (moving from sitka)

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by blacktail, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Hey guys, looks like a neat forum! I need some help deciding on what to bring down with me to Wenatchee from Sitka. I currently have newer 60hp Yami four stoke that I would like to put on something, but not sure what yet. The boat I own is a 20 harvey dory in need of serious repair. Shipping it down + repair costs might not be worth it. Therefore,I am trying to figure out the best operation for my needs and also get a clear understanding of my limits. Though, I will mainly want to fish upper columbia and the surrounding lakes in my area, occasionally I want to make it to puget sound and maybe even rougher outer waters if weather permits.
    Other that the fact that I will need a Drift boat for certain fisheries, would I be okay in with just one all around boat for the Columbia and lakes? I have plenty of experience in saltwater but have never really ran in a river before. What would you do in my circumstance? I have a 4-10 grand budget plus the newer 60hp that I would like to keep.

Thanks in advance.

2. Blacktail,

That 60 hp Yami would be a nice fit on an 18' aluminum shallow vee sled anywhere on the Columbia River, from Rufus Woods reservoir above Chief Joseph Dam to Bouy 10 at the mouth of the big C, not to mention Puget Sound, Straight of Juan de Fuca out to Neah Bay (at times). Understand however, these are not fly fishing, excepting Rufus Woods and part of the Columbia around Bridgeport. Popular boats around here for this application include Alumaweld, Wooldridge, Willie, North River, and several others.

Sg

3. Yeah I was thinking about a 18'ft shallow v type sled or even a Bayrunner/klamath style skiff Around the same length. Looks like I am on the right track. In the end I think I will be a drift boat guy while I am in Washington. Looks like its time to do a different thread on Wenatchee fly fishing.

Thanks

4. A Klamath would be serviceable and more economical than the heavier boat brands I mentioned. I'm not sure if they offer the shallow vee style though. I have a 16' Lund SSV (shallow vee) and have run the old style flat bottom Lunds years ago for work, and that vee makes a huge difference any time there is a chop on the water. Chop is present on the Columbia over 90% of the time.

Wenatchee fly fishing is a different topic, and the area abounds with opportunity, the river, not so much due to ESA closures.

Sg