ADVICE ON POINT NO POINT/EGGLON

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ptphisher, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

Hey there, I am looking for some advice as to when it would be a good time to start fishing these waters for salmon on the fly rod? Of course it si catch an release only right now, but i have neve had a salmon on my line. I am accustomed to SRC fishing, are the flys for salmon the same and if not what is a good bet?

2. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

The pinks will be arriving in August. Point no point is great, has fewer people than the zoo over by Brown's point (federal way). As for flies, I like anything pink, fairly small and sparse for the pink run. Will try to post some pics of good pink flies, but a search will probably give you better results than what I can do.

3. hooknose

hooknose New Member

Resident silvers are around (hit and miss) now, but things will start getting better and better in about 2 weeks as the pinks start arriving as well as some early arriving ocean returning coho. Should be plenty of action to be had throughout august well into september in that area. I've seen pt no pt every bit as crowded as browns pt or dash though, a boat can really improve the quality of the fishing out there.

4. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Anyone have a favorite streamer patten for coho's out there?

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Miyawaki popper, Kelvin flatwing, anything epoxy head by the epoxy artist known as Kerfwappie and sandlance patterns (Roger posts tons of info on his floating sandlance pattern). Crazie charlies in light, mid and heavy weight to find them. Strip the streamers fast for the coho, you cannot outrun a coho hell bent on hammering your fly.

6. Randy Lindahl

Randy Lindahl Member

If I've got my act together...Area 10 is open and area 9 (Pt no Pt) doesn't open until the 16th...just sayin'
    Randy

7. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

Great advise guys thanks so much:thumb

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    You said you have SRC experience, which would imply that you have some resident coho experience . . . the adult coho will eat what the SRC eat. Just upsize it a little.

It can be as complicated or as simple as you want. Clousers in various sizes and colors are money. Again, look at your SRC box, and increase slight the size or even try what you have.

Go buy Les Johnson's book on fly fishing for Puget Sound salmon; tons of info and fly patterns in there.

9. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Kings must be released in area 10 until July 15th. Then you can keep 2 clipped Kings/ Slivers plus two pinks (or 4 pinks total)

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01185/wdfw01185.pdf