Advice on Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Derf, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Derf

Derf New Member

I’m looking to buy a 10-12ft pontoon boat to mainly fish rivers and would like some advice. I have no experience even riding in a pontoon boat.

I’m looking for a smaller, lighter boat with capability to add a passenger, occasionally fish from the boat platform, lightweight enough to put in the water myself, capable of adding a small motor. Rated to handle Class III (when I have enough experience) I’ve probable spent hours reading forums and looking at Skookum, Catchercraft, Outcast, Buck’s Bags, Scadden, Aire, WaterReady, just to name a few. I have about $3k for a budget.

My concern is I will buy a boat and after using it discover I needed something more. Any advice? :beathead:

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    It can be a little challenging finding a boat that is smaller and lighter but yet have the capability to add another person and adding a small outboard. You may have to compromise a bit and list the features most important to you when deciding which boat is best for your needs.

Here are a couple of options: If you plan to use it solo with the occasional second passenger, then you may consider a 10' boat with an extended anchor system to allow a jump seat for a second person (Skookum and Catchercraft have this option). Outcast, Buck's, Scadden, and Aire don't offer much in the way of customization so their factory boats are what you get. Skookum, Catchercraft, and possibly WaterReady offer custom work on their frames.

If you plan to have a second person more often than not, consider a two-person boat but when you go solo or want a lighter boat, you could remove the passenger module and only use the rower module.

All the brands you mention offer boats capable of Class III water but not all have solid motor mounts for small outboards.

As far as your last concern, I have never got a boat and decided I never needed another one because no boat will do everything and yet each boat has its specialty. I have decided I need at least six :rofl: to meet all my fishing needs but yet I only have space for four. :beathead:

3. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    Yea good luck not wanting something more after buying one!

If you spend 3k youll get an awsome boat no matter what brand you get.

The only way to be sure is to try out the boat your thinking about, im sure a few guys on wff wouldt mind showing off their boat.

Fyi,for my money Bad Cat boats are my current favorite boat

4. Derf

Derf New Member

BDD,

I like the idea of being able to remove a module when riding solo and adding it when needed, I'm leaning that way. After this purchase, I'm not sure if I can convince my wife that I need an additional $3K-4K for another boat...we'll see.

Jumbo215,
    I like the look of the Bad Cat frame, looks very finished. Have you had/tried other boats to compare?

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't have much to add to the original questions, just wanted to give a big thumbs up to BDD's response. I know he is associated with a raft making company, and it would have been far too easy to jump on and tell you why his boats were the greatest and all.... Instead he offered great overall advice and several ideas for boats to check out. That's something I don't see every day.

Well played sir.

6. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    +1 I was going to make the same comment. On top of that he didn't say which company he is associated with. Nice

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Derf,

I'm not sure how big a hurry you are in but if you were interested in seeing our boats first hand, I would consider meeting you in Western MT to take a look if we could coordinate our schedules. I'm always looking for an excuse to fish Montana. I think there is a raft company somewhere there too but I'm not sure if they do pontoon boats as well.

Nick and Brian, thanks for the kind words. I'm a fisherman first and a salesman last. I'll give the straight scoop every time...no BS. I'll do my best to provide honest, unbiased feedback and let our products speak for themselves.

8. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That statement alone would be enough to inspire me to look long and hard at catchercraft if I was in the market for a new craft.

9. Derf

Derf New Member

BDD,

Thank you for the offer, I'm not in a big hurry, I will try to contact you tomorrow to talk.

I must say after reviewing many of the posted comments from members of this forum that they have class...nice to see.