Advice on saltwater reel

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nova, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Nova PA CHOMP PA CHEWY CHEWY CHOMP

Sugarhouse, UT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I would like a working mans reel. Nothing bling bling and nothing crappy. A nice solid workhorse for a 10 wt for small tarpon bones permit ect. What would work best on a Sage RPLXi
  2. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    There are many options available these days that can fit that bill. You will get a lot of different answers from people on here and it will all come down to personal preference.
    Waterworks Lamson makes great reels that won't break the bank, a Sage 4210, or even the Redington Delta.
    SciGuy likes this.
  3. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    You can find some pretty nice Abel or Galvan reels really cheap all of a sudden if you poke around classified or auction sites.
  4. SciGuy Active Member

B.I. and surrounding points
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I really like my Sage 4200 series...I have three of them. I've used Redington's Delta and Drift several times and both are solid reels...probably the best in their respective price ranges.
  5. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +142 / 1
    Chances are you going to want an anodized reel and a sealed drag. Tibor, Hatch, Abel...these should do it.
  6. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +522 / 0
    All above are good. Others to consider...

Billy Pate Tarpon (DD)
    Ross Big Game Canyon
    Bauer MZ (close out at sierra nevada)
    Galvan Rush or Torque
  7. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +273 / 0
    Allen Kraken? That's one that I'm currently interested in for a new reel for my 7/8wt setups.
  8. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +342 / 1
    Try looking at a Ross CLA 5. I've used many CLA reels from size 4-7. They are nearly bullet proof. They are reasonably priced and readily available. I might get some heat on this but I have a Billy Pate Tarpon (Great Reel @ $500+, two Tibor Sgnature models ($750+ for each) and a Billy Pate Bonefish model ($500+). They are fantastic reels but you seem to want something less expensive. A CLA will solve your problem and not break the bank.
  9. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I have two Redington Brakewater reels that I use for my 10 and (light) 12's, and they are great. I may be selling one (don't need two). I may be selling some others in that size range in the near future, as well; keep an eye out, if you're OK with used.

If you're looking for new, it would be tough to beat a Lamson Guru 4 for the bang for the buck. If you can find a Galvan Rush 10 available, old style, you may be able to get a good buy on one. The Ross BG-5 is a fine reel, as someone else has noted.
  10. Spencer Woods Member

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
  11. Nova PA CHOMP PA CHEWY CHEWY CHOMP

Sugarhouse, UT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Pulled the trigger on the Lamson Guru 4 @ $190 new from backcountry..cant beat that price ...thanks for the advice fellas
  12. Russ T. Streamers New Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I recently bought a Ross CLA-4 for my saltwater setup. They have a reputation for being bombproof and I liked the fact that they are made in the U.S.
  13. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,215 / 4
    I've been extremely impressed with the Redington Rise 7/8 that I purchased last year about this time. I have fished it HARD, exclusively in the salt, and it has handled coho and slowed chum with ease. Pretty dandy little reel for the money, IMO, and its only a short drive to the factory if something happens to it.
  14. CLO Royal Wulff Pack

PT/EDMNDS/TWSP
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    This reel doesn't get too much love but I like my Okuma Helios for salty situations. It's a working man's reel for sure.
    underachiever likes this.
  15. CLO Royal Wulff Pack

PT/EDMNDS/TWSP
    Ratings: +418 / 0

I don't think you can drive to China? Reddington's are made in China not at the sage factory.
  16. Nick Clayton Active Member

Semantics, but I stand corrected. The end result is still the same- I drive to a factory with a broken reel. I drove home with a new one.
  17. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +522 / 0
    Those rise reels are pretty too....like the blue one!
  18. Nick Clayton Active Member

It is! And it matches the blue wraps on my Link rod oh so nicely!
  19. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +217 / 0
  20. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +483 / 0
    This is what I use in the salt and it definitely gets the job done.