Advice on Spey reels

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Coastal Elf, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Coastal Elf New Member

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and I have a question about reels. I'm thinking of getting the Bauer MZ7 (from Sierra Trading Post) for my DECHO 13'3 8 wt with a 600 grn Airflo skagit. How will this reel balance my rod? Is it too big?

Any other recommendations for someone on a budget? I'm thinking I need to replace my TFO PRISM 9/11 that acted up on me the other day.

Conversely is there a way to keep the drag on the TFO from freezing on cold days?
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,329 / 9
    I have a friend with a BAuer MZ 7 on his 8wt, looks nice and seems balanced too. No idea about the TFO.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0

Yeah, don't get it wet.
  4. Coastal Elf New Member

Snohomish, Wa
    I'll work on that
  5. stewart dee Guest

Not sure what your max budget is but Scott Mann is selling a 4" Dingley Perfect in the classifieds on this forum. Want a bombproof - freeze proof get it done reel that will outlast you, there it is.
  6. Coastal Elf New Member

Snohomish, Wa
  7. Coastal Elf New Member

Snohomish, Wa
    So I ended up doing what I should in the first place. I called Poppy and had him set me straight.
  8. stewart dee Guest

Good Man = so what is the new toy?
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,603 / 2
    My exact setup is: 8wt Decho, 600gr compact skagit, Bauer MZ7

Love everything about it
  10. flatheadmatt Member

Alberton MT
    I just retired my TFO prisim 10/11 for a pflueger 1598 RC. Its the model with the exposed rim. Love it so far and you cant beat the price...I think I paid under 30 bucks for it. It has already proven itself on some nice B run fish. I use it on my 13' 0 7wt DECHO and it balances beautifully........
  11. Coastal Elf New Member

Snohomish, Wa
    Poppy had a Bauer Rogue Classic 6 on sale that should be winging its way to me as we speak.