Advice on Steelhead flyfishing in mid march

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Brokensiren, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Brokensiren New Member

Sweden
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am planning a trip to the US in mid march including a few days in Washington/Oregon to try the steelhead fishing.

-I would be really greatful for any advice on where and how to fish for these magnificant fish.

I am an flyfishing addict and spend most of my summers in Sweden and Norway in search for atlantic salmon.

/Hans
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    This is something guys spend years trying to figure out. My advice: Contact Jim Kerr or Jeff Brazda on this board. Hire them and your chances at fish will go from negligible to almost certain.
  3. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    Or JD Love if you want to fish with someone a bit more traditional. I'm guessing you don't spend much time bobbercating for Atlantic Salmon.

Seriously though. Search the archives and you'll find plenty of info. When the time gets closer put anothere post up here and you might get an invitation to hit the river with someone from the site.
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Hans,

Although water conditions are generally improving in March, the rivers can blow out of shape due to heavy rain any time. If you have no more than a few days, being very flexible in your schedule will help. The best areas during that time will be on Washington's Olympic peninsula and the north Oregon coast. Contact guides in both areas and let them know how you are interested in fishing. If you can make contingency arrangements, so much the better. And like PT said, post here again just prior to your trip, and you may be able to connect with people fishing the same places and time as you.

Sg
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    Brazda (and probably Kerr) would be elated to have a customer who didn't want to throw bobbers.
  6. Brandon pasley Member

Winthrop, WA
    If the Methow is still open in March it would be a great choice for you with the best chances of success.
  7. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Evan hit the proverbial nail on the head, those guys fish for a living, they have spent countless hours on the water perfecting their craft so they can hopefully pass some knowledge on to you. Even if you book a guide for a day, then fish on your own, it would be well worth the money! When in rome.
  8. Brokensiren New Member

Sweden
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys!

I will try to contact one of the above gentlemen and hopefully hire one of them to guide me.
  9. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +541 / 0
    Seems like Ward and Farrar do OK. I've never seens their clients fishing gear.

Go Sox,
    cds
  10. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0
    The best advice you could get. You can find them on this forum.