Advice please- 9' or 10' 6wt for beach fishing and/or streamers?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Hardman, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

Hey guys,
    So, there are some good deals out there on the Redington CPX rods and I'd like to get a 6wt for SRC and maybe streamers. Might also use it for throwing big flies from my pontoon in stillwater.
    So, which length do you think would better serve me? I understand that the CPX is a pretty stiff rod, which is great for the beach, but does the extra length of the 10' compromise that? Does it get too whippy? If it's windy, does the extra length hurt or help?
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Sometimes that extra foot of rod length is worth it on steeply sloping beaches and when beach logs are behind you. I fished Lincoln Park once and slapped the eyes off of some clousers on the beach and logs behind me. I wouldn't even rule out switch rod usage in my case.

3. Rob Hardman

4. switch rod for the win

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Not a huge fan of the CPX single hand rods. Very lifeless stiff sticks in my opinion.
    The prior CPS model was a much nicer rod to fish. Again, just my opinion.
    Look at the 9664S if you decide to go that route. 9'6" 6 wt with salt components.

Porter likes this.
  6. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I use a 10ft. Sage ONE 7 weight for my streamer fishing, and a little beach fishing on occasion. I haven't noticed any significant decrease in performance due to the longer length. The only place it may suffer is if your throwing the biggest of the big streamers, I feel like a 9 foot may work better. If your fishing in a pontoon boat, the 10 foot will provide a distinct advantage in line handling, because the added length compensates for how close you are to the water.

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I've got the CPX saltwater 6wt. - 9' that I use for coho and think it is just fine. I really have no complaints about the rod at all. I also have a good friend that uses one. You could try mine out if you like. I can cast as far as anyone else. Yeah, there probably are better sticks out there, but it simply has worked fine for me. I would like to upgrade to a Helios or something, but for the price, I doubt you could go wrong. I see Sierra Trading Post has them on sale for $224 plus another 30% off! from what I understand. Hell of a deal!

8. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Why not a nine and a Half?

9. Rob Hardman

I'd love to compromise with a 9 1/2', but the deal I found ($145) is only for 9' or 10'.

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

I don't know the CPX from experience, but do from a couple other lines. Generally if you get a dog rod in a 10' version it will tire you out if you put in some hard hours....maybe not so much if you are fishing a day here and there and only for a few hours at most, but if you are planning on all dayers and especially continous days of fishing make sure that 10 footer is a user friendly rod :). I have a TCR which is stiff and fast and descriptive of the CPX...little error for casting stroke and basically no recovery from bad timing. Lines are more important for rods like these, some will help you find that sweet spot and others will ruin the day for you. I have retired my 6 weight TCR to salt fishing only. Every time I take out my 6 weight XP I think of selling that freakin red colored rod...but it is, at this time, my back-up small salmon / big trout streamer rod.

dryflylarry likes this.
  11. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

12. Rob Hardman

Thank for all the advice. And Larry, thank you for the generous offer to try yours.
    I pulled the trigger on the 9' at Sierra Trading Post for $145. As it's primary job will be distance casting at the beach, which is often windy, figured the 9' was the better option. I've read that it's kind of tank of a rod and it's not much for finesse, but at $145, how could I go wrong?

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

She's a cheap date and she's purty in silver and black and if you treat her as a 7 or 8 instead of an average 6 you might find she does things for you that you like! :D

NutJobRob and dryflylarry like this.
  14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    You can't go wrong for that price. I've fly casted for 50 years. It does fine. Yeah, it's a fast rod, but in the wind it performed for me. Hell, I paid $259 for mine! I think I've had it for two seasons now. Yes, I still would like to upgrade. Put a 40+ or a Rio Outbound and let it rip. The coho liked mine this year.

NutJobRob and Porter like this.
  15. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    For saltwater fly fishing, I think an 8'' 6' or a 9' would be preferred- at least for me it is.
    There's usually always wind on the beaches or while out on the boat, and the longer the rod, the higher up the line is in the wind.