Advice please.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I got a whole new setup about a month ago. Here's the thing.. I haven't gone out yet to pratice because I been told to do it right- don't start off the clean slate with bad habits, Instead, begin with a lesson and then go out and practice. I got the Gawesworth video, but it seems like I would need the DVD player out with me on the water to go throught he mechanics. What do you guys think? I have good big water to go at it and no steelhead to distract me, I just want to do it right.

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    I dont know your location. But I can tell you that the sooner you get some experienced help the better your casting will be. Aaron Reimer of River Run Anglers in Carnation holds free Spey gatherings each saturday near the shop. River Run Anglers is a Spey Shop and Aaron is a Doyen of the Spey. It is about the best intro you can hope to get anywhere, and he does it all for the love of the game. Look them up on the sponsors lists here, or in the other threads regarding spey. "Speybum" is Aaron Reimer.

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Hey skwala,
    I agree lessons from an experienced spey caster are a very good way to start and I agree that Aaron is Mr. Spey with a hugh amount of info and test tackle but there is no way I would sit around for a month with a new spey setup and not take it out and play with it on the river.

If you need a lesson and don't mind coming down to the Clearwater I think I can introduce you to a teacher.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Thanks guys. Mike I'm trying to make plans to either set somthing up with you or Aaron. I call you tomarrow and see what's available and make the drive. I'm pretty sure Peck is closer than Carnation, plus you gave me a free hat.:thumb:

5. john wells

john wells New Member

Media:
    just go you'll learn what works for you and then when you take a lesson you'll see what you where doing wrong I started 18 years ago b4 there were so many guys to teach and rods to choose and lines and this and that spey casting is like everything else in flyfishing nobody ties great flies to begin with or rows great or reads water great the thing about this sport that hooks us for life is the way we evolve as fishers. First we go alot and we make alot of mistakes and don't catch many fish then it all clicks and you have a year were your on fire and fish fear you and then it just doesn't matter how it goes all that matters is that your there and a great cast is as nice as a fish its all in the being there numbers mean nothing for the year compared to places and people you saw
    john

6. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Well said John Wells. I myself have taken the "do it yourself" method that started with the "junkyard spey" and a homespliced line. It hasn't always been pretty but it has been more satisfying then any other fishing method I've tried in the 53 years I can remember fishing. I'm not saying it is for everyone but even knowing what I know now if I did it over I would take the same path.