Aeneas first report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Topstoy, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    So I wake up at 6:30, the lake is like glass, there is one guy on the lake. I have coffee and watch a little TV to wake up looking at the water that is just beautiful. At 8:00 I haul my pontoon and gear down to the water and come up to put my waders and boots on. I can't wait, the moment is here! I am all set and grab my rods and turn around to step off the deck, the fist gust of wind for the day hit me. I walk down to the boat to put my flippers on and lean my rods onto the boat. The wind blows them over. With flippers on I managed to get in the pontoon and try to fight to get away from shore and out of the reeds so I can use my oars. I am 10 feet from shore as I see the first signs of white caps developing. I am now trying to get my fly in the water and line off of the reel as I kick as hard as I can to keep forward motion. I finally manage to get enough line out to be able to put the rod in the rod holder and have free arms to manage the oars. I row and I row against the wind. I look to the south and see a couple other pontoons fighting to get back to shore. I managed to make it a hundred yards or so up wind and now the white caps are getting big. I decided to let the wind blow me back towards where I came from. It did, and about 2 minutes later I was blown into the reeds next to my launch. That was it for this morning. This plateau does have the nick name of the windy flats......

It's now 1 hr later after I steped off of the porch and I am having another cup of coffee and listening to the wind howling. I love it here!
  2. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    Only the 2nd time in 40 years I have not been on Aeneas Lake for the opener. Truck is dead and needs a new engine. Just saying, there are worse things than the wind.
  3. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    You bet, I can wait out the wind, maybe tomorrow, maybe Monday, I'm here for the long haul. Sorry about your truck.....
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +678 / 1
    Jeez, the nightmare of being blown into the north end in the rain, lightning, and the dark came roaring back...been there, done that.
  5. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    I remember your story well from last year! I made it out this morning before the wind picked up. Didn't start blowing until about 10:30. Had a nice morning with a couple to the net and a couple broke my tippet. A half dozen other strikes. With the forecast for wind for the next two days I likely won't be out there again until Tuesday. Now that I have retired, I am pretty much here all the time. If you ever get blown to the end, look me up.