Aeneas Lake Update

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Dick Warnke, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Federal Way Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    For fans of Aeneas Lake I have a follow up report to the one I posted this spring on the poor condition of the fish in Aeneas. What few fish that were bing caught had lesions on the body's and clouding of the eye (eye fluke). I just received a report from the area fisheries biologist with WDFW. He says they have determined that the cause is most likely the result of water being pumped into the lake from the Okanogan River. At this time they have a real concern for the survival of this Springs fingerling plant and any adult fish. They just planted 4000 larger fish in an attempt to increase survival to catchable size by next spring. They will do a test netting later this fall before ice up, then again early next spring to see if there is any improvement. I,m hopefull that this fly fishing only lake can be saved. We just don't have that many of them. I'll be following up with the WDFW biologist in the spring and post any info I get for those of you that are interested.
  2. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Thanks for the update. I've caught some big browns in Aeneas and hope to do so again.
    WT
  3. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Thanks for the report Dick. It is greatly appreciated!
    Scott
  4. Trout Master Active Member

When we were there on memorial day weekend , we noticed big fish cruising the shorline but not chasing the little ones. Some locals that live across the street said that when the tri pod fire was going on ,fire fighters were camped there and got swimmers itch so the forrest dept sprayed the lake . ?????????????????????? Is this a connection ????????????????