Affixing Registration Numbers to a Scadden Pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by LCnSac, Jan 30, 2012.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I'm about to get my CF numbers, and not sure how to apply them to the inflatable. PVC glue? I am planning to order them from one of those online places where the numbers are on a plate, not individual. Thanks to those who have done so for the comments.

2. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Small bungees from the plate to D-rings that is want we do on our raft. Most of guides with rafts or cats in Montana do this also
    jesse

3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Of course you do. You don't live in the People's Republic of California;-) Here they have to be permanent, not even zip ties are permitted.

4. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    CALIFORNIA LAW
    Display of Numbers and Stickers
    Along with your boat registration number, DMV will also issue you a set of registration stickers. Numbers and stickers issued at the time of registration must be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel, usually on the bow (see the figures below). Registration stickers must be securely affixed three inches aft of, and in line with, the registration numbers. The number must be visible from each side of the vessel. No other numbers, letters or devices may be placed in the vicinity of the state-assigned number.
    ■ To separate the numerals from the letters, spaces the width of the letter “C” or hyphens may be used between the prefix and the number, and between the number and the suffix.
    ■ Letters and numerals must be block characters at least three inches high. Choose a color for the letters and numbers that will contrast well with the hull or backing plate color of your vessel. In determining height and contrast, any border, trim, outlining or shading around the number shall not be considered.
    ■ If placement on a flared bow would make the number difficult to read, it should be affixed on some other part of the forward half of the vessel where it can be easily read.
    ■ For PWCs, the numbers and stickers must also be affixed on each side of the forward half of the vessel on a non-removable portion of the hull.
    On inflatable boats or vessels so configured that a number will not properly adhere or cannot be clearly seen, it should be painted on or attached to a backing plate, along with the registration sticker.

The new bags NFO now offers has a plastic sleeve to slide a plate in. Very cool. Also you can use siding for the backing plate and some what flexable too.

5. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Is THAT what that's for?? Thank, Joni, I had no idea and was *certain* it had to be permanent. Cool!

Followup: No, that won't work. The bags are 20" and I need 27".

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I guess you buy the bag, THEN make the plate. We lucked out cause our plates fit perfect, but we made them so we could zip them up in the bags when transporting.
    No way to shave that 7"?

7. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    No, 8-3" letters with two spaces plus the DMV sticker is 26-27" and the bags are 20" long. Do you have a pic of how you did it, Joni? I'll bet you do;-)

8. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't but I can...LOL

9. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Could you use a backing plate that is in two sections that you wire-tie together?

Steve

10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I'm going to try to cheat it up by putting the letters close together so it will fit in the pouch. I'll use some sort of backing, maybe even route out the letters on wood and paint them to pretty up the boat. I appreciate all the good suggestions.

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

White vinyl siding.