"Affordable" big, fast fish reels?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by SilverFly, May 27, 2008.

1. docspratley New Member

Yakima, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    you might take a look at the German made Vosesler S reals. They are strong and you do not have to spend a ton on money. Meiser has them.:thumb:
  2. docspratley New Member

Yakima, WA, USA.
    You might look at the German made Vosesler S reels. They are strong and not out of sight in price. Meiser carries them.
  3. docspratley New Member

Yakima, WA, USA.
    :thumb:
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +716 / 2
    Doc, say it a fourth time and we might get the message;)
  5. stan Banned or Parked

yreka ca
    Ummm, He asks for a reel in the $100 range and you give him a reel in the $350 range?
    BTW, in another thread people were talking about cheap one way clutch's, the mid arbor barstock reel being put out by Derek Mckenzie outdoors has a machined one way clutch bearing system on them...zero backlash, even with the drag set to zero. It will retail for just over $100.
  6. Steve Birrer Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Silver Fly

Not sure hwo much these trips are going to cost you but I will echo the comments of others. You are already going to be plunking down a fair amount of change for these trips. Why risk it with inexpensive gear? Yes they can and do work but they are also MUCH more prone to failure that a top quality reel like an Abel or Tibor.

I don't know about you but I don't get to the salt that often so when I do I don't want equipment failures. If I screw up so be it but (and thats often the case) but it sure isn't going to be becaause I plunked $3K down on a trip and then took questionable equipment.

Good luck.
  7. Matt Paluch Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I hadn't heard of these before, but according to their website that reel is only available up to a 7/8. Far too small for Tarpon and Tuna.
  8. sothereiwas Member

Issaquah, WA
    One thing to keep in mind is that you can get enough backing on a smaller reel if you use Gel Spun. But I think you will run into issues with like pick up. I run a Ross Momentum 8 on my 12wt for this reason. The smaller the reel is the faster its going to be spinning when that tuna puts the hammer down.

Brad
  9. docspratley New Member

Yakima, WA, USA.
    I must have had a lot of ice water to get this messed up and post 3 times. I even spelled it wrong. Sorry.
  10. stan Banned or Parked

yreka ca
    I would give Steve Hoagland of Derek McKenzie Outdoors a email ( derekmck@derekmckenzie.com.au), he does bench testing of drags, and is a expert on drags and is coming out with a mid arbor barstock reel in the just over $100 range with a US partner. There was a discussion about one way bearings, and the bearing on his barstock reels in the $100- $125 range are machined
  11. SilverFly Ancient Steelhead Sensei

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Yeah, that's a good point and one I have considered. What I'm getting at is finding the "point of diminishing return" so to speak on cost vs. quality. I will spend what I need to get a reel that's up to task, but I really rather not spend 200% more for a reel that's functionally only 5% better. The other consideration is that this is actually my honeymoon, so fishing will be mixed in with snorkeling, Mayan ruins, booze cruises, and other activities I'd like to save cash for. And worst case scenario, the lodge we're staying at has a full service fly shop, so I can rent or buy gear if I have to.

Oh yeah, thanks to everyone for all the great feedback.