Affordable Fly Tying Kits?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by cook, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with the Cabela's Fly tying kits? Or would anyone recommend a kit or set-up for $50-100. I don't need anything super fancy, but would prefer a vise that I could use for quite a while. Don't have the funds to go big but would love to start tying my own flies. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

2. They have one for 30 bucks. Looks good to me. Be careful of what you're getting yourself into.
    Fly tying can get out of control pretty fast. Just ask me!!
    For years people tied with hand-held vises so that shouldn't be a big deal in the beginning!
    Good luck. There are some awesome tiers here that are very giving with excellent info!!
    You're in good hands!
    Jamie

3. Well, I suppose that a kit is a starting place. But you can find more quality buying simple items to start. You will need a vise. A rotary is nice, but expensive. Not in the $50 class. Go to a fly shop and talk to them about it. I recommend that you will want a good bobbin, scissors, some basic things to start tying, like thread, hooks, chenille, feathers and a good book on instructions. I started with Roy Patrick's TIE YOUR OWN FLIES, but I doubt that it is still in print.

Don't be shy about coming back to ask questions as you go along. Lots of good help and advise here. You will develope your own style but you will be able to learn much here.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. If you want to start cheap get a cheap kit that has all the tools, the feathers they give you in the kits suck anyway so just get them as you go dont worry about getting a kit that has "everything" cause I guarantee they dont. I would start with a 140 denier floss and some 6/0 thread 70 and 8/0 is going to break too much.
    Then you just have to figure out what kindof flies you want to tie. If your more of a lake guy focus on beads hooks and tinsel for chironomids, or grab black white and olive marabou, with matching saddle and chenille for wooly buggers.
    For salt water, get lots of bucktail and synthetic flash.
    For dry flies and nymphs for stream fishing buy everything possible, cause your gonna need it.
    Dont forget mallard for reverse spiders, they work everywhere.

Ron McNeal likes this.

5. Check out this kit
    http://www.fishusa.com/Wapsi-Deluxe-Fly-Tying-Starter-Kit_p.html
    EVERYTHING in this kit is flies I bet everyone uses all the time, plus Wapsi. I bet 60% of my material is Wapsi.
    Later on, look at a rotary vise, but for now this vise will work fine. Plus look at the reviews.

6. What is your main fishing focus?

7. Just looked.
    Good kit awesome price.

8. I retract my statement, that kit looks awesome, a lot better than the ones they sell at most sports stores.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  9. I agree with Olive Bugger, I've been a tying instructor for quite a few years and I would recommend starting with a good rotary vise, I can't remember the name of the vise but we have one at Wholesale Sports (Silverdale) for about $60 bucks thats pretty good, a few good tools and you're set. I would suggest taking a class, but if not get a good intro book like Fly tying made clear and simple or American fly tying journal, also the public library, as well as you tube. Pick a few patterns that you would like to tie, take the recipe with you to the fly shop and pick out the materials for those flies. After you've tied a half dozen of each pick out a few more, stay with simple patterns that you can use.
    Most of the kits I've seen aren't worth the money unless it's a expensive one, you get the lowest grade materials and tools that that company offers. The big expense are the hooks so keep a eye out for deals or closeouts on them.
    Hope this helps, it's just my opinion but I think it's the way to go.

Jamie Wilson and Olive bugger like this.
  10. For cheap hooks I like Allen. $2.25 for a pack of 25 and free shipping. Less than 1/3 the cost of most fly shop hooks.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

11. I have bought that kit for most of my friends, just after they learned to cast. I believe the cheaper kit is the way to go. All the tools you realy need to get started. If you really get into tying you will upgrade your vise later on. If you find tying is not your thing , you are in and out reasonably cheep.

Im not a big fan of the kits that include the materials thoiugh. Learn early to pick out good materials. specific to the flies you are tying. Most Fly shops should take the time to show whats good. One thing that realy improved my tying was taking an Atlantic Salmon fly tying class.

12. Thanks to all for your quick responses! That Wapsi kit looks pretty good. I think I'm planning to start with some salt patterns for salmon and SRC's--probably closers, comets, then I'd like to be able to tie up a bunch of basic trout patterns, caddis's, prince's and the like. Do you think I would be better off just buying a vise, scissors, bobbin and finisher, (did I miss something?) then focusing materials on just the flies I want to tie, instead of getting materials in the kit I won't perhaps use?

13. Buying good equipment is never a bad idea. It just will cost you more to get going. I tied some of my earliest flies without a bobbin. That said I now like the Nor Bobbin. It is really a matter on how much you want to spend. A good vise can usually be bought and then sold here if you din't like it. If you buy a cheaper one it is harder to sell here.

I personally would stress again on picking out good materials .

14. That is exactly what I would recommend. Good tools will last a lifetime. I have a lot of tools, but I also have the ones I started with for the most part. There are only a few tools that you will need to begin. You do not really NEED a bobbin, but they make tying so very much easier and allow you to tie better flies. Sharp scissors are a good investment also. Take you time looking at vises, and choose the best you can afford. It will be with you for a while.

Remember,when you are in a fly shop they are there to sell materials. They will all look good to you. Buy what you need, not what you fancy. I speak from experience. I have boxes of materials that I seldom use, but they looked good in the store. LOL.

15. I found this vise on craigslist for $75:
    Dyna-King Aristocrat Vice
    looks like an older version of the one that retails for over 200--any experience/knowledge of this vise?

16. Thinking of fly tying on the cheap is like thinking of a low cost cocaine addiction. You can buy em way cheaper than you can tie em. Fun tho.

Mark Mercer, Ed Call and Phil Fravel like this.
  17. Saturday is my fly fishing club Party and Auction. There is a used Regal vise, vise tying station, tools and a bunch of tying materials included with it. (most from a Universal Tying kit plus pheasant, etc.)

I don't expect it will sell. If that is the case I will let you know if the club will sell to a non member, along with a reasonable price. I think it would be perfect for you to get started, except you will want to buy some materials specific to tying saltwater patterns you listed.

18. I should add.... Evergreen Fly Club's annual fly tying class begins in January. Look for enrollment via City of Mukilteo Parks next week. Great way to get started. Classes are held near the Muk ferry at the newly built Rose Hill Community center on Wednesday nighs.

19. If you want just start with the basic tools and buy your own material, I see Spirit River offers a tool set that includes a basic vise.

http://www.spiritriver.com/materials/tools/complete-tool-assortment

Considering I started with a Thompson Model A vise and bought only enough materials and tools to tie one pattern I could no longer buy, I'd probably start with the tools and buy materials as you want for specific patterns. Otherwise, you'll end up with a lot of material that you may never use.

Olive bugger likes this.
  20. Sage advice!