Affordable Fly Tying Kits?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by cook, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    This what you can tie with the Wapsi
    • Wooly Bugger
    • All Purpose Nymph
    • San Juan Worm
    • Stretch Tubing Scud
    • Foam Beetle
    • Poly Caddis
    • Brassie
    • Bead Head Caddis Larva
    • Fur Ant
    • Inchworm
    Not cheap material, and I use every single one of these.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,679 / 0
    Yeah, but what if he just wants to tie steelhead flies? :)

Seriously, if the Wapsi kit includes materials to tie that number of different patterns, it's far and away better than the old beginner kits that were sold. It would certainly get someone started.
  3. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +238 / 0
    Wait......I bought my Thompson Model A vise 40 years and it is still the only vise I own. Maybe that's why after 40 years I am still a pretty bad tyer.

However, this in my humble opinion, is the best book to learn how to tie flies. "How to tie freshwater flies" by Kenneth Bay.

All the flies are old standard eastern patterns, but it is by far the best book I have found on learning to tie. You tie ten of the standard patterns.

I did buy two of the wapsi kits as gifts. One became a good tyer. The other still has the kit and has failed to even tie one fly on his own.
  4. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +414 / 0
    I have Skip Morris's Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple that helped me a lot that you can have for free if you want it.
  5. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    You know, when I started out I bought a Thompson Model A, it was pricy at $12 but I still use it today. The little box vises that Cabellas sells are marginally OK, they will get you by, but they are not as good as the old Model A or the Herters $3 vises of old. If you are sure you want to get into this, I would recommend the Renzetti Traveler, but it is a pretty pricy start. If that is too much to swallow I'd go with the Cabellas ones that come in a box for about $30. That will hold you for a while. The main criteria is that it hold a wide range of hook sizes firmly. Don't buy the kits, they have a bunch of crap you will never use. Buy the vise and then the materials for the patterns you want to tie!
    GAT likes this.
  6. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Never seen a hand held vice, please enlighten me
  7. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I have that wapsi kit. Most of the materials are what you would buy in a good fly shop, but you'll need to get some dry fly hackle if you want to tie any basic dries. It's also lacking a whip finish tool.
  8. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
  9. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0

Attached Files:

10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,679 / 0
    Oh sure, if teenage girls haven't bought all the dry fly quality hackle feathers to weave into their hair! :)
  11. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I had the bad timing to get into tying right at the height of the hair feather craze last year. Now it's possible to find some good deals again. During a recent trip to the Marysville Cabela's I even found some #2 quality stuff on sale for half price.

Another option for folks who don't want to spend $50 is to ask their local shop if they'll cut a cape/saddle in half.
  12. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
  13. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I HAVE THAT VISE! I glued a magnet to the bottom of the base for that vise an would tie sticking it to the hood of my car. Now I have the Vosseler with the suction cup base.
    Another wilderness vise is a Leatherman. Stick the knife in a log and channel locks for the vise. This works great and a killer stream side tool to boot.
    http://jackdennisoutdoors.com/store/leatherman-crunch-multi-tool/
  14. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +414 / 0
    Cook,

I see you are in Seattle. I made the investment in the last year to get into fly tying. Part of that investment was buying a full Whiting Eurohackle saddle. I got it at a decent price and I would be willing to give you some dry fly hackle off of that as you get into it. Definitely enough to tie some flies and see if you want to continue with it.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.