Affordable switch rods...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    I've been wanting to get a switch set up for a while now after having returned from Hawai'i where I used one for the first time while bombing for bones. That being said, I have a tonne of other priorities in life that come before me getting ANOTHER rod (I think I have around 4 already now...).
    I can not afford to get a Sage or G-Loomis or Loop or any of those.
    I always rinse and take care of my gear, but it still has to be saltwater friendly in a sense that I won't cry over it if something happens while fishing the beach.

I was leaning towards a TFO Deer Creek, but was wondering if there are any other switch rods that are of quality that aren't so popular- one of those little hidden gems of a rod that is good, yet under-rated, if you catch my drift.

I know Echo and TFO are probably my best bet for the least expensive, but was wondering if anyone knows of any other brand that can chuck a clouser a good distance on the beach.

Cheers.
    Jordan.

2. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

Echo and TFO's are both great options. I'm trying to debate between the two right now. Keep an eye on Allen Fly Fishing. I hear through the grapevine that they might be coming out with a spey rod very soon.

3. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    I am at heart a TFO guy, and was leaning naturally towards a Deer Creek, but was wondering if there are other options at all...

Thanks for the heads up abut Allen...

4. docstash

docstash Member

Redington which is part of the Sage Rio group has switch rods. 10' 6" 5 and 6 wt. and 11' 3" 7 and 8 wt. Luke77 has a 7wt and it is a sweet rod. Just a bit lighter than the Deer Creek 7wt.

Craig
    Red's Fly shop

5. notalwaysaimless

notalwaysaimless New Member

I built a Batson RX7 7wt 10'8" switch rod. I think the blank and guides/reel seat etc, set me back about $120. Plus, I got the chance to build it -which was fun. I have not cast it next to another switch rod so I have no idea how it stands up to a Sage/Loomis/TFO - but I'm sure someone with more knowledge/experience can help with the comparisons.

derek

6. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Indeed a SMOOOOOTH rod! If you look around, you should be able to pick one up for under $200...but you have to look hard. Well worth every penny.

7. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    I am currently looking at a Redington CPX switch which I have read nothing but awesome reviews about. *fingers crossed!

8. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Jordan,

I can add some encouragement re the cpx. With one huge caveat. I cannot, and effectively have not tried to make any sort of spey cast. So my 11' 3" 7 wt. has to function as a single handed rod. and that it does nicely. I was able to fish it single handedly on the Hoh for 8 hours. The 425 gr. Skagit short loads it perfectly for my taste. Now, that being said, it was hard to do. It gets real heavy for me. The rod itself Is lighter than I expected, and faster than I expected. I normaly fish a 350 gr. shooting head on a ten foot rod that does not tire me. But the 425 grains on that extra 15 inches leverages me into tired land. I am up there in age, and am in poor shape, so I think that a few years ago the rod would not have tired me. The 6 wt. cpx is about 10"6" I think. To do it over again I would buy the 6wt. for single handed summer Steelhead.

Good luck,

steve

9. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    I'm not too worried about fatigue arising from use all day, but more or less trying to figure out which line(s) will best suit the rod. The application will be for bombing the beaches for coho and pinks, so distance is more the issue, along with loading and firing. I want to and plan to learn how to switch/spey cast for my own sake, but won't really be doing it on rivers swinging anything.

Is there a multi-tip line anyone can recommend for the CPX 7wt?

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    For overhead beach use you should check out the Airflow 40+ or the Rio Outbound. Most people I know who use switches for this purpose just swear by those lines.

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I hate to sound like a broken record but I don't like long lines on my switch. I like to roll it out in front once, pick it up into a backcast, and cast on the forward. After you pass knee deep that just gets harder and harder with an intermediate, and as you approach waist deep it becomes near impossible to pull off as you get tired. I rejoiced when the outbound short was born.

As to what rod, they are a little more but I really like my Beulah rods.

12. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Media:
    I've had the CPX 11'3" 7 wt for a couple of months now. It is loaded with a 9 wt Outbound short floater. It seems like a good match. I have not gotten the hang of 2 hand overhead casting and have been using it as a single. What seems to work the best is to water haul hard and then easy out a forward cast. This combo has so much power that I feel like I can punch out a hero cast but if I do the cast falls apart. What works best for me is to ease off a notch or 2 and let the rod/line do all the work.

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    The trick to the two hand casting for most people I've worked with is getting the backcast right. When you're lifting the line off the water, when your top hand is about as far back as you're comfortable going with it, pop the bottom hand forward. The best method of course is to watch the line and fly clearing the water, but that's harder to keep track of, but most folks can easily work with "pop the bottom hand when the top hand is done going back".

14. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    I defs will keep those points in mind. I am also going to take a lesson/learn from a shop guy up here on how to switch/spey/two-hand cast. Ultimately the goal is the most distance with the least effort...duh! As to lines, I might have to demo a couple. I defs want a shooing head, or one that can just fly. I had never used a switch/shooter set up until the flats in Hawai'i and I couldn't believe how far the line went with such ease (due in part to the shooting head) compared to my 8wt WF single hander.

15. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Can't vouch for their switch, having never tried it, but my Spey's a Reddington; effortless casting! My switch is a Deer Creek, and it shoots a scandi compact just fine!

16. wolverine

wolverine Member

I've got 2 Buelah's, 2 TFO's, and a Sage. Switch rods have saved my crappy shoulders. I like Outbound shorts, and shooting heads w/mono running line for the beach. Oh, and get a shooting basket.

17. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Just a quick pointer to Philster's remark about kicking out the bottom hand as the last motion before the forward cast. I spent a lot more time than I normally do overhead casting two-handed rods @ the Sandy Clave with some guys. One thing I noted is a final out&up move by the bottom hand @ the end of the backcast . . . similar to the horizontal drift used by single hand distance casters.

All I know for sure is that it helped my two-handed overhead casting - it really helps set the rod in the optimal position for the forward stroke. Takes a bit of practice but defiitely worth it!

18. Jordan Simpson

Media:
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out lines right now. I really have no clue about the differences in Scandi's, Skagits, and all of that stuff. I'm not really looking for a river line for swinging for steels or anything- this is going to 95% beach use, with long casts with probably a bit of wind thrown in (what beach doesn't get wind eh?).
    Something simple, something effective. That's all I really want.

19. Only On A Fly

Only On A Fly Active Member

Home Page:
    How about Scott's A-3. I have the 11' 6wt & love it.

20. SpokaneFisherman

SpokaneFisherman Member

Media:
    Not sure if it's something that you'd be interested in but I have an 11' 7wt Winston BIIX that is in the classifieds right now. I'm the 3rd owner but the rod has never been fished (You can see how clean the cork is in the pics) and has the factory tube, sock and blank warranty card. For the money that you'd spend on a TFO, Echo, or similar Mid line rod you can have a really nice premium stick.