Afterwork fish tonight - Where to land a steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Galpster, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Galpster

Galpster New Member

So I get off at 1430 at Boeing Field tonight and want to go wet a fly with my new rod. Where would be my best bet to land a steelie? Was thinking trying the Snoqualmie but we all know how slow that river is.

Thanks for any ideas,

Gary

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    you must be new to steelheading

3. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    You must be a self righteous prick.

4. Galpster

Galpster New Member

Yes new, never been called a self righteous prick, but, I am sure he was talking to Evan and not me.

5. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Come on in everybody, pull up a seat.
    [​IMG]

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    No popcorn needed. Jesse and I understand each other.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was just hinting that being new to steelheading, you aren't quite aware that landing steelhead rarely, if ever, happens. Especially around here.

8. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    That and since he gets off work earlier than most of us we don't wanna tell him where to go to "land a steelie" just so we can pull up and see him do it.

9. Galpster

Galpster New Member

Yes I am aware of that. Just wanted to see if anyone was willing to pm me on a better than average spot to go out tonight. Help a rookie out type of thing.

Okay, I am awake now.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Yet still many go out seeking the elusive steelhead, despite after work travel restrictions that may keep us from going places where our chances may be better. Best of luck. I'd follow your trip plan, worst case you spend some nice time on the water. Best case you get to post a trip report for those of us that don't get off work early and have potential water within reach.

11. Galpster

Galpster New Member

Looks like it's the Sno River for me. Will let you all know. Last time there at least I caught a cutthroat.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    There's not much for secrets around this area. Just not much for fish. Your best bet for landing a steelhead in this area right now is on the Reiter hatchery stretch of the Skykomish.

13. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    Hey man. I was new to Washington just like you apparently are now. Steelheading in Seattle Metro and are around it just isn't productive. Odds are totally against you. You're gonna get a lot of dudes replying with sarcasm. So your best bet to catch a fish is prob small trout. PM me and I'll give you a few hints where to go.

14. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Let the guy go chase around some steelhead.... clearly what he wants most is to test out his new rod.... which im sure is a touch big for trout.

starting out with a few skunky days is the best way. makes the first one you land that much better.

15. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Make the drive over the pass and go to the east side. Even though you face a 3+ hr drive, you have a better shot of catching a steelhead in 1-2 hours of fishing over there than you would in 2 weeks of fishing puget sound rivers. If you can get there by 5 you have a couple hours to fish before dark.

Honestly if your playing the % game, thats your best bet. If your happy just getting out and practicing, then the local rivers will meet your needs.

16. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    What about the Green up by Flaming Geyser? Then stay on Hwy 18 and try poking around the Raging river. Puts you pretty close to home when darkness hits. I am not sure of the Regs on the Raging. I haven't fished it in years, leave the spey rod at home.

17. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    the snoqualmie is still over 2k in flows. i'd poke around near carnation. look at a map, find yourself a bridge and start walking!

the sky is at 3700 that is a halfway solid flow for reiter or the wallace. im sure there are fish kicking around both. you could also just jump in at lewis st or ben howard where this time of year you could find a bull trout, cutthroat or a chrome bright coho grabbing onto your swung fly.

kind of a tough time for summer steel on the local ditches. its been a wet month, the high flows have scooted the hatchery fish to the hatchery gates and the wild fish up their natal streams. but its always possible. and cutts, bulls and coho are a real possibility. release the cutts and bulls gently.

i snuck out for a few hours the other day on the lower sky. fished 2 of my favorite runs got an 18" cutty on a skater and had another tug on a leech. felt like a bull. saw some salmon roll, enjoyed my river beer and casting the spey. fuck the haters. get out son!

18. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    X2 Get your tip wet.