agate pass

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jimmyz, Sep 23, 2011.

1. jimmyz

jimmyz Member

Media:
    has anyone fished agate pass i heard that there may be a silver run this year . i still have not caught a silver from the beaches guys to the right me catching silvers and i have caught 13 pinks and not 1 silver i am happy to catch pinks but if i catch a silver i will jump up and down and do cartwills allaway down the beach tight lines

2. High Flyin

High Flyin Member

Jimmy,
    With my expiriences is this is too earily for that area. Also, I have been out of commision for a bit but the majority of those silvers were from the nets pens that are south of the bridge. Those nets pens aren't being used anymore. This I got from a buddy so, I may be completely off but that is what I understnad. someone on here likely has better info.

3. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Actually they were used both this year and last. 265000 smolts were raised in the pens last year and over 200000 this year.

SUQUAMISH — Fish were flying in Agate Passage on Monday, as employees of the Suquamish Tribe began placing 265,000 coho salmon into a net pen in Agate Passage.

The fish will be kept and fed there until summer, when they will be released. In two years, when they return as adults, the coho will provide increased fishing for Suquamish commercial fishers as well as non-tribal sport fishers.

“They will home in on the net pen site,” said Mike Huff, the tribe’s salmon enhancement biologist. “They will stay in the area a month or so, just swimming around. The sport fishermen should do well in catching them, and the tribal guys will get them as well.”

The Agate Passage net pen had been an ongoing state-funded operation for years until the end of 2002, when it was discontinued because of state budget cutbacks. Further budget cuts last year left the state with an excess of coho at Minter Creek Hatchery ......
    http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/01/agate-passage-net-pens-full-again/

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Another item to consider; some folks that live down at the the north end of the pass now water ski along the shoreline. Kind of messes up the fly fishing water.

5. High Flyin

High Flyin Member

Well, I was way off. Sorry all.

6. jimmyz

jimmyz Member

Media:
    thanks great report i cant wait until next year to fish for silvers at agate pass. i also finally got a silver at point no point

7. jimmyz

jimmyz Member

Media:
    thanks awesome report when do you think that we will be able to fish agate for salmon this year or next i use a teeny stealhead line at agate and it worked well to get down to the fish. i finaaly caught a silver at point no point

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Funny, kind of. I grew up in Suquamish, on the beach and skied, swam, sailed, boated, dove and fished the Pass quite often, in the 60s and early 70s. Long before the tribes had a hatchery, pens, or even fished. True, in recent history (40 years prior or more) they were not fishing before Bolt. People don't ski now nearly as often as our generation did and we caught fish regularly, often off the old dock. My guess is that the fish settle down shortly after the boats pass.
    Just 2 cents.