Airbrushed Poppers - You Doing Them?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by BuzFly, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BuzFly

BuzFly Member

Home Page:
    Here are a few of the Airbrushed Poppers I have been working on. Theses are the hard Perfect Poppers.
    Paint is applied with Copic Airbrush and then sealed with a dip in Polyurethane. Eyes are then added and then another dip. I am looking for a spry sealer that will not run the Alcohol Based inks that the Colic pens use but it has to be somewhat flexible so I can also use it on soft foam. The Copic ink will run if you brush on a acrylic sealer even if you let it dry over night. The hard bodies are then coated with 30 Minute Devcon. The fish don't care, but I do like to pimp out my poppers..........
    IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0016.jpg

GAT likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Those are great! I'm too lazy to use an airbrush but instead just use craft spray paint to create gradation effects.

[​IMG]

The absolute best clear sealer I ever found for hard body patterns I made before I switched to foam was a product I bought from craft stores called Joli Glaze. Evidently it was toxic because I can no longer find the stuff. Again, geat look'n hard body poppers!

3. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Off topic aside about your profile:

I remember, on the train ride into New Yawk City, the conductor would say, with a rising and then a falling voice--metUCHEN METuchen, next stop Metuchen.

What do you catch on those poppers? Blue Fish?
    I wish we could move the Atlantic Coast to North Dakota.

4. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    i like to use the uv cured resins on the poppers i tie

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Large mouth and small mouth bass.

6. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Ah. Bass. I am a dumb one.

I started off bass and bluegill fishing in New Jersey. Pickerel too at times. I miss that kind of fishing. You make very good looking poppers. Ronald Braud is a Louisiana popper maker who posts to fly tying forums at times. His work is amazing. His paint jobs cross a line into art somehow.

==> Ronald Braud's Work <==

7. BuzFly

BuzFly Member

Home Page:
    I fish poppers for just about everything. The ones I posted are tied with 2/0 stainless hooks for SW. I am working more on the process of putting them together to make them stronger than most. Ca glue to set the hook and 30 Min Epoxy mixed with micro balloons to fill the slot. All are sanded and then primed. I spray them with alcohol based paint and then give them a dip in polyurethane to seal the paint. Eyes, which I am not good at, are mostly painted on with acrylics. I do not have the great success with stick on eyes because the edges peal before the epoxy dries but I do like them better for SW. To finish them off they are then either dipped twice more in poyurethane or coated with 30 Minute Devcon. Tails are tied with thin CA glue added to the thread wraps.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I enjoy fishing poppers because they are presented just the opposite of a dry fly for trout. Instead of a drag-free drift, you move the heck out of the popper and like I call it when it comes to bass popper fishing, "tease the cat". If you coax a cat enough with a toy, it will attack.

The explosive attack is the thing... I love it! I'm not all that keen on landing a LMB but a smallie puts up a heck of a fight. The savage strike is what gets my heart pumping and the reason I fish with poppers for LMB.

The oddest thing I've caught with a pencil popper was a Northern Pike Minnow (aka: Sqawfish). I was fishing for bass and the critter grabbed the popper. Aggressive suckers.

There are certainly some master popper builders out there and what they produce are a work of art. I'm too lazy to get too carried away.