AIRE Tributary cooler configuration question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by JS, Apr 1, 2011.

1. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    For those of you with 13' Tribs with full fishing frames; what cooler configurations have you tried and had success with? Have you used NRS's cooler straps, or a do you have another technique? What I have been doing is strapping my smallish igloo between the back y bar cross bar and the rowers seat bar. I am upgrading coolers soon to a yeti and I am trying to figure out what the maximum cooler size I can comfortably fit in that thing.
    Thanks,
    Jarad
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Jarad, what are the bay dimensions (inside all frame pipe) including the height limit for being able to open it? I don't have that boat but have some printouts of a lot of marine coolers dimensions from when I moved my rowers seat off a bar and replaced it with a cooler. I sit on the cooler directly and like it. NRSweb.com has a bunch of coolers and list all the dimensions if memory serves me correctly.
  3. JS Active Member

Yeah, I have been there and scoped out NRS's setup. The problem I have with them is their coolers are way overpriced. I will measure up my dimensions tonight and post them. I may look into sitting on a cooler as well Ed.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Jarad, I did not say BUY from there...they just list the measurements for those looking to build bays around them. I bought mine at a local store with a coupon for some $$ off!
  5. N-forker Member

C-Fall, MT!
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    JY,

I don't run a Trib., but a Super Duper Puma, with a full NRS fish frame. I put my Icee Kool cooler between the oarsman foot brace bar and the elevated front fishing bar. It keeps the cooler out of every one's way, allows me to pinch it between these bars so it doesn't wiggle around too much- and allows me access to the cooler- as I am the main oarsman and get thursty! I don't use the hanging cradles but set it right on the floor. That PVC is tough, and my opinion is that the cradles are designed for older bucket boats where nothing can touch the floor, or people who decide to use the cooler as a front seat and want to eliminate all cooler movement. I occasionally run a cooler as a front seat as well for lazy cruises with the wife, and will just NRS strap the cooler through the lacing in the floor to lock it down. The Yeti is perfect for this configuration since it has strap hole built into the body of the sides of the cooler- allowing it to be strapped in and you can still get the lid open. I bet you can run an 80 to 120 quart cooler in a 13' Trib. check out the Aire web page, find the model you are looking for and click on the "wire frame" button. This will give you all the dimensional specs. of your boat.

Cheers! K-
  6. JS Active Member

Ok, its been a busy couple of weeks but I finally pulled the measurments off of the NRS website (60"W x 68"L)
    .....I guess my question is now; have any of you used NRS's cooler/drybox straps? How did you like them and what size cooler have you used them with? Sick Puma, N-Forker.....my trib is setup the same way with y bars instead of the thigh bars. How do you like the thigh bars?
    Thanks again guys,
    JS
  7. N-forker Member

C-Fall, MT!
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    JS,

I first had full "U" style bars, that worked well, I just found some people had a hard time getting in and out of the boat while climbing around and over the bars. The 3/4 thigh bat eventually fatigued and the lo-pro flared the "unbendable" tubing creating a lot of play in the bar. The full U remedied this problem with two connections to the frame.
    Now with the ability to have floors both fore and aft, and have the improved thigh bar I am really stoked- it fishes a lot like a drifter while still being versitile as a raft. My only concern in the single upright that holds the thigh hook, I fear a similar fatigue issue to the 3/4 bar is eminent- but will be easily fixed with a second upright bar to equialize the torque- I think (and hope). The SDP at 14' is the perfect sized fishing raft in my opinion- long enough to seperate the anglers from the oarsman, and narrow enought to still be sneeky.

I still feel the cooler in front of the oarsman is the best configuration, setting the cooler on the floor has never been a problem (PVC is bomber), and sitting on the cooler as a seat makes my seat soar! View attachment 40587

Cheers!
  8. JS Active Member

Yeah man, I too had the full wrap around bar up front. Took the U out because it creates so much more space to fish out of up front, and I have some sizable friends and family that have a hell of a time getting around that obstacle. I havnt had any problems with the strength of the single beam that holds the Y-bar, and there have been some large men leaning from that thing so I am satisfied there. I dig the high back seats! where did you get them?
  9. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    They are Tempress seats.