Airflo 40+ vs Rio Outbound (for switch rod)

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Burck, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I've been a huge fan of the 40+ for quite a while now. It's the perfect line on my Echo switch rod. I have my 7wt SR lined up with a 9wt 40+.

I will be demoing some new switch rods soon from an undisclosed source. I'll be getting 3 8wt switches to demo, and want to get the right line for what I'm doing. For an 8wt, I'd like to get a 10wt shooting head line, but unfortunately the 40+ only goes to 9wt in the floating version.

How does the Outbound compare? I've never cast one personally, so any input from people who have experience with both lines would be much appreciated

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Evan, see if you can find an Airflo 40+ Coldwater Striper line in 10wt to try. I think the head is a bit longer than the 40+ you are used to...but it will rocket. Maybe you should ask Mumbles. If you are only demo-ing them maybe I can loan you one. When do the rods arrive?

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

They will arrive in about a month. You have said striper line you say?

4. Ed Call

Indeed. I loved it on a TFO Deer Creek 8wt to the backing knot repeatedly. They are a kind of light yet bright blue color, super slick and I'm a big airflo fan.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Floating head too?

6. Ed Call

Full floater. No tips. You'll have to improvise that if you are going to use them. Never cast tips just fished surface and just below the surface.

7. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

If you are overhead casting the outbound, it will rock.

If you are speycasting with it (the floating outbound)...not so much.

The floater has a reverse compound taper that puts the weight of the head in the forward end, making it inferior to the 40+ as a spey line.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Good to know. I am spey casting the 40+ more often than not

9. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

While I've not used it personally, it WILL be the next line I purchase for the switch. Speydicator.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I've heard some mixed reviews on that one. If you get it, let me know your thoughts.

11. woof

woof New Member

I've cast both lines (40 Plus and Outbound), but only with my single-handers. I think the Airflo line is superior. The Rio Outbound has a horrible running line.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I think I'm actually going to get the speydicator for this setup. After talking to Matney about it, I'm intrigued at the idea.

13. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Now yer talking

14. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yep, he sold me on it as well. :)

My attraction to it is due to the long handling line. Sounds like it allows for mending across the river with ease...something the 40+ doesn't do well.

15. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

6 of one 1/2 dozen of another.... I have 9wt 40+ I use on my Guidline switch in semi limited testing it nymphs, single hands, two-handed overhead, and in a pinch will even do some limited spey casting. Oh, and Rio is making a Switch rod line now... never seen it or used it but it's on their web site.

16. Craig Schulz

Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

The only down fall to the Spedicator is the line capacity it takes up on the reel, you might have to go up a reel size or cut your backing way back or go with gel. I have been real happy with the new Rio Switch line two sizes up.

17. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

Can someone correct me on this, but I thought I read an Airflo guy say something to the effect that the 40+ & Spedicator are the exact same at the 30' mark (or 35' or something), but the back taper on the Speydicator is what sets them appart...

Orvis made a switch line for their Helios switchs and the 7wt matched my TFO DC 7wt very well...the taper made me think Skag/Scandi.

18. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

the 40+ and the outbound are opposite tapers. I cut my outbound a couple inches above the running line, and looped both ends. The head goes one way for overhead shooting, and goes the other way for spey and roll casts. It'll turn over a bobber rig if that's your goal.

19. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Not true. There is nothing the same on these lines they are completely different on all fronts. They do need a reel with huge capacity. The mending section takes up some serious space. something to consider.

20. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

I ran a 425 Outbound on my 7 wt 11ft sage switch just this season while was in NYmphing stage and it worked very well, I had to grease the line to help it float but that is par with all airflows that I have used, it mended well (most important when nymphing) and spey style cast a nymph rig, but NOT overly impressed with a sink tip, it did cast good with a dry skate as well.