Airflo 40

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by obiwankanobi, Sep 11, 2007.

1. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    On Sat I ended up losing my line, leader and sink tip to a very large fish. It was early in the day so I went to a local fly shop and purchased a similar line to my Rio Outbound, called the Air Flo 40. I didn't have time to stretch the shooting head and prepare the line yet, but the two times I have used it, I don't seem to like it. Anyone have a comment on this line? Good/Bad?:confused:

2. klintd

klintd Member

Media:
    I talked to one person who used it and thought it coiled less than the Outbound. I have been thinking about getting this line, what didnt you like about it?

I am curious about how you "stretch the shooting head and prepare the line." You mentioned that you used the line a couple times, why not stretch it when pulling it off the reel? I am assuming that you must use some other method to stretch and prep it, care to explain?

3. obiwankanobi

Media:
    For some reason when I went to cast it and tried to shoot the line through, it did not have the acceleration that I achieved with the Outbound. I will probably be professing how great this line is after I prepare it, but just my thoughts for now.

I was taught this by a very wise fly fishing friend of mine that instructed me much on fly fishing and philosophy. What he told me to do and I have done this on all of my lines, is to stretch it out between two trees(i.e. two chairs in the hallway, in my case) and make sure it is taught. Take a piece of leather and double it over and run it fast against the line. It will heat up and take all the memory out of it. Do this a few times over and then the second half of the process is to take a silicone lubricant or like a Orvis line slickening agent and work that into the line with a paper towel and follow this up with another trial of the leather stretching.

This may not be a standard practice or needed with the new lines of today, but I have done this with all of my lines and have noticed much improvement. I would rather do this a couple of times during the season, since if you are like me and you get down to the water and see another person fishing, streching your line is the last thing on your mind.

4. RedFive

RedFive Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I use the clear intermediate a lot and like it. I also use the Outbound and the Streamer Express. They're all great lines.

Having said that, I prefer using the 40+ for most of my beach work--during a high tide it does a great Perry's Poke and Snap T and when you slow your stroke down it really flies. If you move too quickly and apply power too early in the your cast, it has a tendency to "kick" and then pile up. Try to be smooth in your acceleration, limit your back casts and work with little less running line outside the tip and you should be fine.

But then again, to each their own, as they say...

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I've been using it this summer off the beaches and really like it. It loads my TiCr much better than the WF 6 line I had before. I have yet to feel the need to stretch or otherwise 'prepare' it. Maybe in the winter when things are much colder and the line is stiffer...

6. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    I am fishing the Airflo 40+ on my 8 weight for large migratory Coho and I really like the line. I am fishing more from a boat and I have had few of the rats nests that I regularly experienced with the Outbound.
    I too like the Streamer Express. Both of these lines have more substantial running lines that reduce the need for stretching and untangling.
    Obi, let me know if you want to sell the 40+.

7. obiwankanobi

Media:
    Thanks all for the input. Steve I am not in the position to sell the line just yet since I have not fished it much and with my finances, I will hang onto it for a year at least. I will say this, the Outbound running line did pose problems with tangling and I was glad to see that the Airflo running line was thicker and seemed a bit stiffer.

8. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    How did you lose your whole line to a fish?

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Back to your original observation about the Outbound vs. the 40+, the thicker running line of the 40+ will reduce some of the distance you observed with the Outbound. I like the 40+ line; I only have it in the WF6F and WF8F versions.

10. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Well if the knot between the backing and the fly line gets old and you forget to check it at seasons beginnings it can happen when a big fish takes. At least this is what happened to me a few years back when using my 6-wt a large Salmon took the fly and broke the backing knot while the backing knot was just outside of the reel. Watched my backing go shooting into the depths of Puget Sound and not a dang thing I could do about it.