Airflo Clear floating tropical- anyone?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
  2. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    What does it give you a solid color line does not? I prefer to know where the end of my fly line is, so I can get a sense of the orientation of the fly line relative to the leader, etc. Not sure of the real benefits of the line . . .
  3. DennisV Member

Paloma CA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I really like Ridge lines so I tried ordering these clear tip floaters in a 10 and a 12 wt online and got an email back saying that Airflo had not shipped yet from the factory and they "Might" be available sometime in January .

Man , I hate it when some online retailer advertises a product that they don't even have in stock.

Wastes your time ordering, and then wastes your time cancelling.

I'm not going to "out" these Knuckleheads, but I won't order from them again

I had two well known shops up in the PNW do this to me earlier this year with Nautilus FWX reels

Have you located a place that has these lines in stock???
  4. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    No, I haven't looked too much in to it- I just heard great things about the Airflo Ridgelines, and have heard it can sometimes be hard to track a fully clear fly line while stripping/casting and thought this might be a good compromise- Airflo Ridgeline where the main belly has a solid colour and only the last 12 feet are clear to be sneaky with.
  5. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 1
    Jordan, if you intend to use this line when you go to Hawaii, know that most flyfishermen over there don't use tropical lines as the water is not as hot as places like southern Mexico, Belize etc. Unless you are dead set on a tropical line, I would go with regular saltwater or redfish lines that are rated for a wider variety of water temps. I know guys who have taken tropical lines (me included) to Hawaii and have had problems with coiling and stiffness. Even though the air may be hot, the water will generally be a bit cooler than whan you would find in other bonefish/flats destinations. Saltwater lines have a softer core that is designed to work well in colder AND warmer temps without wilting or coiling up, but Tropical lines are specialty products designed just for super warm water and they have a very stiff mono core.

As a joke one time, I set a buddy up with a tropical line while we were fishing for searuns here in Seattle. He couldn't figure out why his line kept coiling up into a slinky and I said "you gotta stretch it !". He finally caught on after a while and I let him use another rod I brought that was set up with a coldwater Airflo 40+.......:rofl:

Rio Saltwater or SA Saltwater or Sharkskin or their textured saltwater lines would be good choices. Airflo saltwater lines would be good too. Another very good choice would be the Orvis Saltwater All-Rounder line. That does well in Hawaii and in colder climates. You can also use it if you fish Lake Wilson with Stan. I do use clear SINKtips over there, but not floaters. As Denny said, you want to track that line! Regular bonefish lines do work okay in Hawaii, but I prefer Saltwater lines over Tropical lines over there. I know, this shit can be really confusing. Take some big Borski sliders too, they look like lizard fish and big shrimp and everything snacks on them.

Whatever line you buy, have fun and enjoy the scenery.
  6. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Thanks Mingo- that helps a lot. I was thinking of the line for Hawai'i but I might not now.
    Duff is going to set me up with a Monic fly line for one of my rods, but I wasn't sure what I should use for my 8wt, and the Rio Outbound I have on it is a little too bright for my liking for those spooky bones- as well as the fact it doesn't land very delicately.
    I will be hanging out with Stand quite a bit and will probably just use my 5wt set up for the Peacocks and baby barracudas, so my Outbound on that rod will be fine (both those fish could be caught using an extension cord with 3 feet of tippet).
    I will look in to that Orvis Saltwater All-Rounder line though for sure.

Thanks man.
  7. DennisV Member

Paloma CA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Jordan

Ole Florida Fly Shop has a few of the Airflo clear tip floaters in stock. I just ordered a 10 and 12wt

The Ridge lines shoot exceptionally well and seem to tangle a lot less in the bucket.
    As my other big Salt lines wear out I will replace them all with Ridge lines.
  8. cb3fish Banned or Parked

Santa Rosa , Calif
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Jordan,

I use the Cortland clear lines for 1 month straight in Mexico and love them......we do have warm water, I'm not sure where you will be fishing and what your water temps are, Just don't overlook one of the best clear floating lines on the market, Cortland also stands behind it 100%...PS I don't have anything to do with selling lines for anybody, just trial and earror. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
  9. Tejano Member

Austin, Tx
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am not familiar with that line but have used other clear tip lines for flats fishing. I am mixed on the advantages as I think bonefish and Tarpon can hear or sense the line moving in the water. It does reduce shadows some which can spook fish. The hover or slow intermediates are stealthier as the ripples of a floater also create shadows. One dodge I use to help track the line is to mark about six inches of either line tip or leader butt with a blue or green sharpie, this wears off eventually but is a good point of reference especially if you standardize your leader length.

All of the tropical lines benefit from a good streatch regardless of water temps.
  10. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    That is a really good tip- not just for tropical fly fishing but for anywhere. I will keep this idea in mind now...
    Thanks!
  11. Tejano Member

Austin, Tx
    This is how I code my leaders as well, Blue = saltwater fluoro, Green = sw maxima
  12. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Just be careful doing that in places with a lot of barracuda or mackerel...
  13. Tejano Member

Austin, Tx
    Yep, I have had some toothy little guys look over the markings but only one cut off so far.

If you see them eying the line they usually lose interest if you let it sit, if you strip then they get excited. It's the ones you don't see that can cut you off.
  14. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Are they seeing the coloured part moving fast and attack it because they think it's a baitfish or something? I've never had fish go after my line. They've bumped and nosed my strike indicatorsbut that's about it...
  15. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +210 / 6
    I'll be trying the clear tip version in early January. Will follow up (if I remember)
    Anil
  16. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Anyone know why Airflo can produce a clear tip tropical line yet discontinued it on their 40+?
  17. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +384 / 0

It's not too late for you to covert to the SA Streamer Express!
  18. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    I like the nearly tangle free Ridge running line to much. :D
    Hopefully Airflo will figure out a way to offer their intermediate 40 + lines with a clear head again in the future. Big mistake in my opinion that they still don't offer them since their competition does. Even just the last 15 feet of the head being clear would work.