Airflo clear line review

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +420 / 0
    I was in the market for a new intermediate clear line for my 6 wt, bought an Airflo Ridgeline. Here is what I thought:

You can throw the thing a country mile, but the 'clear' part is lacking. This is only one of two lines that I can actually throw the whole line, it casts that easy. It also sinks at a consistent rate and is very supple. My only negative is that the ridges (their trademark) in the line make it look "milky white" verses a true clear like the 3M products.

If you are like me, that last part is important. I have now, three intermediate lines. A blue Cortland, a 3M (4 wt), and that Airflo. I fished with all three (off and on one day) and the 4 wt clear 3M produced more fish hands down. In some places that may not matter, but where I was it did.

I'll use the line for small steelies and off color days on the river, but it won't cut it on those clear water lakes (compared to the 3M).

For what it's worth...
  2. kjsteelhead Member

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I've had really good luck fishing the Ridge clear the past couple of seasons in variety of lakes. The fish don't seem to mind.
    Definitely agree with you on the way it casts, Dave.
    Dave Kaiserman likes this.
  3. Kaiserman content

Yeah, that line throws really, really easy. Makes a guy look like he can actually cast well. :D

Like I said though, the "clearness" may just depend on the lake.
  4. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    while you are pondering the appearance of your clear line, here is something else to ponder. I was fishing a clear (not ridge) airflow line on the white marl shoals in Community Lake where I could watch the fishes reaction. They would not cross the clear line but would follow it to the boat and spook. When I used a black HI-D line they would cross over it like it wasn't there. Go figure, I have no arcane explanations, just know it is true. Now I don't know what to think. Maybe we think the clear line is more important than it is.
  5. Kaiserman content

That's interesting Jim.

Like I said, I'm sure in some cases it just doesn't matter. Maybe to us it does, but to fish, not so much. I just had to do my own little experimentation that day, and it made a huge difference.