Airflo's 40+ line for overhead and spey casting?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by herl, Jul 20, 2006.

1. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hi, I just ordered a TFO 10' 6wt. for switch casting in rivers and overheading at the beach. I found a decent deal on airflo's 40+ lines and am looking for advice on which line size(s) to get for it.

These lines are integrated shooting head style lines like Rio's Outbound.

Does anyone have experience with these lines? Will I need to go with a 7 wt. line to be able to spey cast with the outfit? will one size work for overhead and spey casts? Can anyone recomend the "Extreme" or the "Expert" version over the other?

The extreme has a ~35' head and the expert has a ~43' head. Both have very long front tapers "to delay turnover".

Thanks in advance,
    Eric
  2. RedFive Member

Initech
    Herl,

You're in luck! These lines are great for switch casting. I prefer to use Skagit style casts with them, actually.

No need to up-line unless you're using a super-stiff rod. If you're getting the rod I think you're getting, that won't be a problem. Sitck with the 6 weight line and you should be fine plus it'll be manageable when you decide to overhead cast with it.

I don't have any experience with the Expert taper versus the standard one so I can't help you out there but I will issue one warning: these lines bust at the juncture between the head and the running line. Airflo has apparently fixed this problem by welding in a sleeve over this juncture. I'd check with the shop to see if the line you're looking at buying has that sleever. Otherwise, you might be sending the line back in a month or two.

Other than that issue, it's just like I said--the Forty Plus should work out really well with your new rod.

Hope that helps.
  3. herl Member

the other washington
    Hey thanks Red5, I went ahead and ordered the floating variety, and I'm guessing that it was the old style since it was on sale - will see when it gets here. Hopefully it doesn't break on a fish - but that sounds like a decent possiblity. THanks again for the reply.

Eric
  4. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0

Eric, is it 'deal' information you can share? PM?

Thanks!

Richard
  5. herl Member

the other washington
    Sure, actually the deal is not that great. It is some fly shop in the UK selling the line 'sans box' over ebay for what works out to be ~$40 USD after shipping. I don't have the name of the seller off hand but a quick ebay search should turn it up.