Airflow long welded loop vs Rio?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by grnsparrow32, Jun 11, 2012.

1. grnsparrow32

grnsparrow32 Member

I have been on the Rio line for my single handers for a long time. The welded loop is great. I have just put together a spey set up and went with Airflow running line. However, the loop is very long and quite thin compared to the Rio. Has anyone had any issues with the long loop? It looks like if my Rio Skagit flight small loop isnt exactly at the perfect pinch point of the Airflow, it pulls uneven. the tension of both strands of the Airflow loop isnt even. im worried that the pinch point between the two lines could move while fishing and cause more tension on one side of the loop than it can handle. I have visions of watching a salmon or steel head swim off with $$$ worth of my new shooting head and MOW tip? Any reasurrance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Love the Airflo running lines and large loop. Allows the passing of the whole shooting head or reel. You should be able to loosen it and get the handshake loop to align properly.

3. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    You will find 'long' loops on the front end of almost all running lines today (including Rio). They are very popular and usually perform well.
    If the strands of the loop aren't lining up correctly try adjusting and evening the loop before you fully tighten. Without seeing the loop in person, I can only speculate about the problem you are having.

4. apistomaster

apistomaster Member

I don't have any experience with shooting heads to speak of but I do not like loop ended fly lines. They get tangled up in wind knots too much for me so I attach all leaders to fly lines with needle knots. I attach at least 3 feet of butt tippet then a barrel/blood knot to new leaders.

5. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I think you'll find that the loops on shooting head lines are a different ballgame entirely.
    These are not at the end of a fly line, they are the connection point where you attach different heads as conditions change to a running line (not to be confused with 'Versi-Tip' lines). With this connection, you are attaching two different parts of fly line, neither of which can function well without the other. There are permanent connections (which are 'cleaner' and smaller) but they do not allow easy interchangeability. The connection you mention would not work in this application as you are not attaching a leader on the end of a 'running' or 'shooting' line.

6. Etamaman

Etamaman Member

Media:
    X-Fox Island, WA now back down south across the li
    Very much agree.....Although I still find myself changing heads the other way. :)

7. grnsparrow32

grnsparrow32 Member

thanks fellas.

8. grnsparrow32

grnsparrow32 Member

it makes sense now. the reason the loop on the airflow is so long is because its on the back of the shooting head and would reel up better than 2 shorter but bulkier loops.

9. Chuckanduck

Chuckanduck Member

It is my impression that the loop is formed from the line itself. Therefore, each side of the loop will have the same strength as the line. If this is correct, then the force not being distributed evenly on both halves of the loop is a non-issue, correct?