Airline travel with fishing gear?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by davew, Aug 29, 2012.

1. davew Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I've got an upcoming trip on Alaska Airlines and wanted to know what could be carried on:

Rod(s) in aluminum tube? What is the max tube length that can be carried on?
    Flies?
    Reels, etc.?
    Nippers, forceps, etc.?

I'd appreciate hearing about any recent experiences. Thanks!
  2. scottybs Active Member

Bellingham, WA and IGH, MN
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    I fly for the airlines, 4 piece rod tubes shouldnt be a problem at all, standard forceps, nippers, etc and you will be fine. Heck, never had a problem with a 2 pc.

Good luck,

Scott
  3. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    They allow nippers? I had to check my fingernail clippers once....they are essentially the same thing
  4. Brian White Recovering Bugmeister/Troutlandish?

they shouldn't have any problem letting ME carry on flies these days. The flies would only be considered dangerous if i could hit a target with 'em :)
  5. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +210 / 6
    I travel quite a bit with my fishing gear. I always carry a printed copy of the following:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm
    The last paragraph is of particular importance:
    Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.
  6. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +127 / 0
  7. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    I strap a 4 piece to my carry on with reels inside. If the rod is not attached to the bag, it can count as a personal item. Everything else goes into the checked bag.
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,699 / 0
    So TSA says you can carry expensive reels in carry on baggage. But can the reels be loaded with the fly line? I ask because I've read a couple reports where the TSA dweeb claimed the fly line was a dangerous weapon because it could be used to strangle flight attendants, as could shoe laces, but logic and TSA seem mutually exclusive.
  9. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +210 / 6
    My experience in the U.S. with lines on reels has never been an issue. In both The Bahamas and Mexico, it has come up several times. In general, TSA officials in the U.S. have been more consistent that those in foreign locales. I am always more concerned about my gear making it to a fishing trip, than I am about it getting home in time. So I sometimes check items that I insisted on carrying on on the way down.
    If you do check any of your gear, take a photo of it, next too or in your checked bag. I like doing this with my phone or a camera that will be handy.
    That gives reasonable proof to the airline in the event of loss or theft.
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    You have to check it all except the rods when coming home from Mexico. I take flies, reels w/lines, and rods down in a carry on but put clothes in the bag for the trip home. The rod tube always stays with me both directions as my personal item. Everything else goes in the boat bag as a carry on. Mexico has no humor so if that is where you are headed, don't take chances. Put everything in your checked bag.
  11. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Just got back from Alaska, flew alaskian air and carried a 60" aluminum rod tube.
  12. Ryan Havelka New Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have never had a problem flying with my gear in the states but can't speak for international travel. Alaska and Frontier have stowed my 2 piece in the same place where they put strollers when people board the plane.
  13. South Fork Active Member

Trondheim, Norway
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Don't forget your fly rods on the airplane. Got wasted flying back from Anchorage one time. Don't remember how much I spent on that flight, but we were having a grand old time, and we were on a break in between work, those little bottles add up after awhile. Left the rod under the seat and the stewardess had to track me down and give me my Sage SP back (9ft 5piece 6wt with two tips). Awesome rod. To bad it burned up in a fire a couple weeks later, but it was a damn fine rod.

Never had a problem taking rods anywhere in the world, and I typically carry them on and toss them in the overhead bin.