AK to WA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh Stroud, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

"When you are shipping cars, furniture, ect. 2,380 miles - it is a little stressful to say the least..."
    or you can do as I did; put everything in a pickup with a cab-high shell and put it on the ferry.
    While you're certainly not going to be fishing the Parks or the Kenai as easily as you can now, the lower 48 has year-round fishing, unlike AK. A 400 mile drive will put you into southern Oregon/northern CA where you can chase trout and steel every month of the year.When I lived on the Kenai, I worked construction and was so busy making hay while the sun shone, I didn't fish nearly as much as I'd have liked. Winters got long and icefishing never got it for me.
    You ever get down my way (norCal), give me a shout and I'll show you some nice water anytime of the year. And you'll never need neoprene waders or Bunny boots :).

2. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

"You ever get down my way (norCal), give me a shout and I'll show you some nice water anytime of the year. And you'll never need neoprene waders or Bunny boots :)."

May have to take you up on that sometime. I will definitely be heading south to do some fishing, as my girlfriends family lives in San Jose.

3. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

May have to take you up on that sometime. I will definitely be heading south to do some fishing, as my girlfriends family lives in San Jose.[/quote]

You'll be diving right past the Sacramento, tailwater Redding to Red Bluff, year round trout. Upper River can be good winter/Spring pending flows. Trinity, Klamath for Steel; McCloud, Hat Creek, etc/etc. for trout. Not much in San Jose area.

4. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

"Not much in San Jose area"

Haha, yep figured that. BTW, thanks for the advice. Might have to check out some of those areas. I know that we are planning on driving down to San Jose sometime this summer. May have to make a couple "pit stops" on the way!

5. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I'd of been happy moving from AK to WA. When I made the move from AK in the mid 80's, I ended up in Central California. Fly fishing heaven to fly fishing hell. Welcome to the forum.