Al Troth passed away

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Stonefish, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Sorry to hear that. I had breakfast a couple weeks ago with friends at The Pioneer in Ketchum where there's a terrific set of a half dozen or so framed and signed collections of Al Troth's ties mounted just inside the front door, including several with his famous Elk Hair Caddis. Al was a true innovator and legendary tyer. His legacy will live on whenever each of us tie on one of his creations and fool a trout with it.

K

2. Just read this. Sad. I never met the man, but his reputation was
    well know. Condolences to the family.

3. Definitely worth pouring a sip for.

4. I've always been a fan of the Troth Bullhead. I like that it is tied on a steelhead hook, it gives it big fish mojo. Two-tone body is also a nice touch!
    Troth_Bullhead.JPG

5. Sad news to be sure but at least he had the satisfaction of leaving a legacy to the fly fishing community. Who knows, there may be a few on WFF who will do likewise.

6. And Troth always said his flies were nothing more than improvements or variations on flies that came before. Some to make the fly more durable (like the wire re-enforcing rib on the Elk Hair Caddis), some to make the fly more bouyant (like the elk hair substituted for duck and goose slips of the Henryville Caddis), or to make an effective fly easier and faster to tie (such as eliminating the flat gold tinsel body and matched turkey wing slips on the Muddler to make the Troth Bullhead), or simply to make it easier to see the fly (like the white wing post on his small parachute flies.

Personally, I think Troth was one of the great innovators, even though he didn't see himself that way. What a legacy he left.

7. Great contributions to the pastime we love so much.

8. One Black Butte Porter down in his name.

9. I fished a nameless river in Mt that Roth frequented when in the Missoula area last weekend. Hoppers were the popular choice of the day but I rocked the caddis and a few blue moons to pay tribute.