Alagnak River, Alaska

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DW, Aug 7, 2002.

1. DW

DW New Member

Hi All -

I'm floating the Alagnak River on 9/4 - 9/11. We've had a guy back out, so we have an open spot on the trip. We're going unguided, so it's not as expensive as the normal guided trips.

The silvers, char, grayling and 20 pound rainbows will be hittin' hard - so it's gonna be one of those, trips of a lifetime. ;) Oh yea...and the bears. ;)

Anyhow, we're a young group...mid-20 year olds, so if anyone is interested in fillin' in...let me know. If you have any question.....just ask.

Take care!

-0 Dave

2. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

wow, sounds like fun. I had a friend who guided on the alagnak river a few years back. He showed me tons of pictures from fishing up there. Huge bears fish the rivers too! so the big question is how much $ are we talking about? let me know, I'd love to go. :THUMBSUP YT

3. DW

DW New Member

Hey...are you the YT that went to Inglemoor?

If so, call me - 206.931.2244

Dave

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I worked on the Alagnak briefly in 1998. It gets hammered. If you do go for a drift trip, concentrate on the upper river and the braids above Katmai lodge. After that it's a toss-up, but that would be a great time of year for the bigger bows on biog ugly leech flys.The bears are used to campers and will annoy you for food so be careful baout food containers, storage etc. If I was going I would use freeze dried stuff, less odorous foods, and do little cooking.They arent mean, just a pain in the ass.I wish I was going with you.

5. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

I was up there last week. . .what a trip! Big bows, sea-liced chums, silvers, and pinks, and a few char to boot! INCREDIBLE!!!! Too bad the guides at Katmai Lodge are such pathetic a$$holes. . .