Alagnak river float

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jumbo215, Oct 2, 2010.

1. The Goodnews is a great float, did that in 2007. Looked into the Alagnak, but seems to be too popular these days. Heard of crowds at the lake waiting to float, crowded gravel bars, cat holes all over, etc.. Have not been there, but that is what I was told. I prefer more solitude myself.

2. Ulfinator, wild story. Good thing everyone escaped uninjured. Someone was watching that day.

3. The Overlake Fly Fishing Club is trying to finalize their plans for 3 trips to Alaska this year… We've got two trips in June to the Alagnak, and one trip to the Kanektok in August. The August trip is almost full, but we still have a couple of openings on all of the trips. These are club sponsored trips being offered by the Overlake Fly Fishing Club at a lower cost than is normally done, since some of the costs can be reduced, being offered by the club. We will have two Past Presidents, and one vice president doing the guiding and rowing (Joe and John Kristoff, and Dicl Lange). The first trip in June on the Alagnak is a little longer (12 days on the water) than the second, and therefor we can lower the price on the second trip. Here are the costs of the trips, and the dates. If you ever wanted to go to a river where you have a good chance at catching a 10 pound rainbow and a 15 pound lake trout on a fly, the Alagnak is the trip you want to go on. If you want to go on a trip where the silvers are abundant, and the rainbow fishing is great - especially for the Leopard Rainbows, then the Kanektok river is the trip for you.

June 7-18 Alagnak - $2500 C - 2000 Rainbows and Grayling
    June 18-26 Alagnak - $2000 C - 1800 Rainbows and Grayling
    Aug 19-29 The Silver River - the Kanektok - $3000 Rainbows, Silvers, Grayling and Char

The price for club members is the number after the C… If you wanted to go as a club member, you will need to send a membership application and the cost of membership to the OFFC. If you are interested in going as a club member, contact Dick Lange (akflyfisher) immediately, and he can help set you up.

If you have any interest in joining John, Joe and Dick this year, please let us know as soon as you can. If we keep our costs down, we might be able to bring the Kanektok trip in under $3000, and we will refund any money that is left after our trip expenses are covered.

This year is going to be another great year for the Alagnak, with a near record run of spawning salmon, and a really cold winter - the fish entered the fall fat, and had a lot to eat with all the eggs and flesh floating down the river this winter. With a cold winter - ice will come off the lake late, which means the fingerlings will not have started their run before we get their, so the fish will be very aggressive when it comes to finding food - and flies….

The Kanektok had a bad storm roar thru last August, and even though the water went up a foot, it did relatively little damage to the spawning beds. The river had a great silver run 3 years ago, so they are expecting a large number of silvers coming back this year. Joe's fly, the Silver Slayer, is one of the best silver flies we have ever fished with. The last four days on the river will be aimed at the silvers, while the first 8 days will be aimed at the Kanektok River's Leopard Rainbows, and its huge run of Arctic Char that will be in the river - from the confluence of the Klak, on down. They aggresively go for egg flies…

Come on up and join us this year. It’s a trip you won't forget. We'll fish till we drop, eat well, and we won't have to lie about the size of our fish. We'll take pictures and leave footprints and be dazzled by the beauty of our surroundings and the fish we will catch as we float quietly down the river, in search of wild rainbows...

4. hey Richard drop me a PM, I'll be on the river during your second float, maybe I'll come find you... I want to hear about these 10 pound rainbows on the branch (I'm skeptical).... I'll bring fresh bread or something we can barter...

5. Just start fishihg down below the first big set of flats, until you get to the first white water. There are a lot of big fish just in tht stretch along. Fish DEEP, with BIG Streamser (2 1/2 to 3" long. THey are there.

6. Fish the cleaning tables... Higher concentration of them!

7. ahh the lake fish... yeah those fish are big, can't get there... The lodges really don't like me fishing to their pets :p