Alaska in September

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by ribka, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Always dreamed of Alaska trip and this year finally made it up. Went up there with an old army buddy. Decided to fish the Kenai area for steelhead for a few days and then try the Russian, Kenai rivers for trout and dollies. Flew up to Anchorage and rented a car (It's cheaper to rent a car away from the airport I learned.) and proceeded to drive down to Homer to fish the Anchor, Dep Kasilhof for steelhead. Stayed in Baidarka Inn in Homer. Around $75 a night plus a free breakfast. Nice and clean hotel. The hardware store in Homer has a good fly shop and great information.

Lots of rain and rivers (Anchor, Kasilhof) were high the first few days but managed to catch some nice steelhead. Used egg patterns, stonefly nymphs. (Tried swinging leech patterns and had little luck) Experienced many hook-ups. My buddy was 1 for 11 one day. He lost a few fish that were close to 38-40 inches.

Next fished Russian and Kenai Rivers. Stayed in Cooper Landing at Troutfitters. Nice clean place and reasonable rates. Caught a few nice trout but fishing was slow. Decided to rent a canoe and float the upper Kenai. First day went fishless. Next day figured out where fish were hold and what to use and did much better. The rb's on the Kenai were very strong and powerful fish! Managed to cath some nice dollies too. (Biggest one was caught on a fly WFF member Papafish sent me)

Spent one day with a guide on the middle Kenai to catch silvers (meat to bring home)
    Had great time and caught 10 nice silvers 12-16 lbs on bunny leeches. My from observations outfished other boats (gear and bait fishers) in the area 10-1 . Interesting to see 1000's of pinks in the river when fishing

Had great trip and cannot not say enough about the locals in Alaska. Very nice and helpful people . Thanks to WFF members Papafish and Tony Mull for their assistance in planning trip.

Photos in next posting

2. Pics

Attached Files:

3. more pics

Attached Files:

4. I love the Penninsula. Thanks for sharing.

5. Great report and nice pictures...thanks for giving us something to drool over.

6. Nice fish; beautiful scenery. Thanks for the pictorial essay; makes me want to go someday.

7. Looks like a great trip. you're making me homesick. Glad you had a good time.

8. Makes me homesick too Tony!

Looks like a great trip!

9. Terrific report and pic's, glad one of those fly's got a big one for 'ya. The location and pic's sure took me back to my own experience up there, thanks for posting. :thumb:
    Looked like the weather was perfect.

LB

10. Hey man nice steel sorry I didn't get out fishing with you... Next time leave em in the water as required by law mmmkay?

11. Nice pictures and travel!
    I was in the Kenai Pennisula on August end and enjoyed it a lot too.

Do you have the contact of the guide in the Kennai River?

Thanks
    Gonza:)

12. Really? When did AK adopt Sparkey's Law? Or were they first?

Anyway, love the steelhead pictures. It is cool to think that those steelhead are at the very northern range for them.

The char are awesome too.

13. Not suppose to remove a steelhead from the water on the kenai pennisula, not suppose to remove C&R kings from the water anywhere in the state

Those fish are pretty far south to their extreme northern range, by about 300 miles strangely there are no fish between there and their northernmost rivers (also the northernmost native rainbows in those rivers)

14. where are the northernmost steelhead? I always read that that stariski creek was the northermost. course that was many years ago.

15. Tony,

Your question made me run to my AK gazateer. I believe the northern most steelhead population is the Kasilof. They have looked at large rainbows in the Kenai and over in Bristol Bay and I don't believe any of the fish ever showed a saltwater life-history stage.

Not sure about Russia.

16. I'll give a hint they are in the copper river drainage

17. Its fairly uncommon, but people catch steelhead in Bristol Bay and the Kenai River (I've personally talked to biologists who have), you can tell them because they are skinny and long compared to the other fish that have been gourging on eggs and salmon flesh (also their scales show that they are in fact steelhead). The reason they stopped stocking the kasilof is that the steelhead were skipping the kasilof and going to the kenai. I suspect though that there were always a few steelhead in the Kenai system. I think that alot of the fish in the area were origionally steelhead but the big lakes and abundance of food has kept them in freshwater, I'd suspect that there is a remanent population of steelhead. Also I'd guess that this is true of most coastal rainbow populations that they'd travel out to sea once in a while and swim up a different river to keep the species and mix genetics. This is all speculation on my part but it seems reasonable enough.

Still the kenai and bristol bay are pretty far south, there are steelhead north of Anchorage (which might still have steelhead from some stocking in the 80s)

18. Arent there steelhead runs on the Alaska Peninsula?

19. yes there are steelhead runs on the AK Penn

20. Steelie travel alot farther north then Kasilof. Like ak powder monkey stated tribs off the copper river. I land many steelhead on the kenai every year with client. Many Alaskans claim them as 30 inch rainbows.
    Good to see you had fun with chet.