Alaska Refugee

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tater, Dec 10, 2001.

1. tater

tater New Member

I am hoping that some of readers of this board can assist me. I am an Alaska native and will be coming to the Seattle area later this week. I am looking for a small river or stream to fish within a couple of hours of Seattle. Nothing fancy, and I don't have any great expectations. Winter set in up here on October 8th and I have not wetted a line since August, so I am going through withdrawal in serious sort of way. I have a 5 weight pack rod and would be happy nymphing for trout somewhere. I have been told the Yakima is nice. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

The Yakima is probably a good bet, and one of a just a few places in Washington I can think of that meet your requirements. Get there around 11am and bounce some nymphs along the bottom. You might just connect with a nice rainbow or two.

You can get an idea of how the Yak's fishing right now if you check reports at The Evening Hatch's website or Worleybugger.com (find links to these reports on this site's homepage). You'll also find a good Yakima river map on this site's homepage. I hear the whitefishing can be decent on the Yakima this time of year too.

If you're willing to travel a bit further, you can hit a spring creek called Rocky Ford. This creek fishes pretty well through the winter, and offers the opportunity to hook into some real hogs. Scuds, leeches and tiny nymphs seem to be the best bet. Keep in mind that the Ford is a solid 3-hour drive from Seattle in good weather. To get there(or to the Yakima for that matter), you need to take I-90 East over Snoqualmie Pass. The weather up there can be unpredicatble this time of year.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Cheers
    ww