Alaskan Halibut fly pattern suggestions...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by PhlyPhisher, Mar 20, 2008.

1. PhlyPhisher

PhlyPhisher New Member

I'm going on a cruise to Alaska this year and I'm going to be doing some Halibut fishing up near Sitka. I'd like to know if anyone can make some suggestions for some patterns. :confused: Can you even catch halibut on flies? I understand they're pretty deep. Any techniques and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Phlyphisher

2. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Media:
    I have a big book about halibut fishing and it has a chapter (albeit a pretty short chapter) all about fly fishing for halibut. It basically tells you that unless you're fishing in halibut spawning grounds (I think) at the right time of year there's no hope. It did suggest a fly to use, called the "half-a-rabbit", which sounds pretty gnarly, but it gave no pattern specifics.

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Get some T14 line and sink it straight down with the biggest white streamer you can tie and spray it with WD-40. If you are going in summer they will be chasing pinks in the shallows in Sitka, bunch of others will be chasing the same critter, good luck.

Daryle

4. ryan6f7

ryan6f7 New Member

Ive caught Halibut on Alaska's kenai peninsula fishing off the mouths of a few creeks down there. When i caught them i used 20 feet of lead core attached to amnesia running line with 3 feet of 30lb maxima tied to big rabbit flesh flies. They will gather at the mouths to feed on decaying salmon flesh. Its not a pleasent expierence but it can be done. Also i never caught anything much over 15 lbs. I went to college in sitka its a wonderful area

5. adiposfin

adiposfin adiposfin

Hey there,

I've had good success wih a couple of "prawn" patterns in the Queen Charolotte Islands the past few seasons. I fish them right off the bottom out the mouth of a creek bed.....about 30 feet deep. Nothing over 15 lbs, though the fly rod makes it all the more enjoyable :)

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/brasseyedprawngroup.jpg

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/SWpatterns/SWcohoprawn.html

I must admit that these two were off Nordic Jigs in 40 feet of water............

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/images/pic3.jpg

6. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I've used the Calamarko Tube Fly for halibut with pretty darned good success since the early 1990s. Some squid patterns may look more realistic but none I've tried work as well. It is a weighted tube fly by Mark Mandell that I long ago dubbed "The .38 Special" due to the lead in its nose. It has however probably been my best fly for offshore fishing over actively feeding fish, chinook salmon, rockfish or halibut. Most of my experience with halibut has been around Langara Island in the Queeen Charlottes, Clarence Strait in SE Alaska and in Thorne Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaksa. It is a load to cast but a 12-weight rod, at least 400-grain sinking line and a heavy leader point gets it out there -- and down.
    Les Johnson

7. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:

Halibut Spawn in like 1200' of water... In the feeding season its perfectly doable, heck I caught a 100+ pound fish in 60 feet of water, which is reachable with a fly (I was using herring :( )