Albacore Guides

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by seanmjones, Mar 3, 2009.

1. seanmjones

seanmjones New Member

We have a group of guys, a few in Mt. Vernon and a few in Boise, that are interested in an albacore tuna trip for this summer-fall. Do you all have a guide/outfitter to recommend? We were thinking Westport might be the place to take off from, but I'm open to any and all suggestions that you may have. The Boise guys will fly into Sea-Tac for the trip.

It'll be a mixture of fly fisherman and bait dunkers, so any outfitters that could figure out how to deal with both would be ideal.

Thanks for your input,
    Sean

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Having gone on 3-5 albacore trips each year for the past 5 years I'd recommend you talk to Anil with Puget Sound Fly Co. (site sponsor) He organizes trips each year out of Hammond Oregon with Red Sky Charters and captain Chuck. It's fly fishing friendly, plus he has plenty of gear rods if that's more your style.

Some pics from a trip last fall:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ibn.archer/AlbacoreN#

It's a blast. Once you catch one on the fly you wont want to go back to trout fishing. :)

I should also add, Westport is closer to Sea-Tac, but you're going to end up running WAYYYYY further in the boat out of Westport then you will if you leave from Hammond, I'd rather spend an extra 45 min driving to Hammond then 2-3 additional hours running in a boat from Westport. They all basically fish in the same area, ~50 miles out from the mouth of the Columbia.

3. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Hey IBN,

When is the peak season to go for albies? That looks like a blast!

Eric

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    With a bigger group, having a mix of fly and bait guys is actually better than having all fly. Have the bait guys fish off the sides and the bow and keep the stern corners clear for fly casting. The bait hooked fish help keep the school near the boat for shots with the fly.

The season generally runs from July-Oct, but the weather gets progressively worse the later you get into the season. However, the calm days in the late season tend to be better surface days than earlier in the summer, so it's always a crap shoot with the weather.

5. seanmjones

seanmjones New Member

Thanks for the posts and info. Any other recommendations out there, or seconds on the recommendations already posted?

Sean

6. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Lets just say I set up two trips through puget Sound Fly this year for August and plan to set up again next year if they are still doing.

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    mmmmmmm...
    broiled.
    albies...C&R, my ass!

If anybody's up for a july/august charter, let me know. I'm up for a trip with Chuck.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Economy, finances and job dependent at this time SS, but I sure would like to give that a whirl. I've fished for larger species of fish around the gulf coast but was drooling big time looking at Anil and Ibn's fishing reports and videos from last year's fun. I likely don't have any reels up for that task yet, but I've accumulated a rod or two that should hold up.

9. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Jim Ricardson out of La Push, he will put you on them. Boat holds 5 anglers on tuna trips, super nice guy to fish w/ a tough boat

http://www.forks-web.com/jim/salt.htm

Albacore Tuna
    Open all year, no limit WA saltwater license required (Best fishing mid august - mid October)
    For years now schools of tuna move close to the north Washington coast mid July
    until mid October. Last year (2007) we found the fish 25-45 miles out of La Push. With mild
    El Nino conditions in the ocean this summer the fishing should be great again. Trips
    are 1.5 to 2.5 hours of running each way and six to seven hours of often fast paced fishing.
    We are keeping the passenger load to four on these trips so guest have more room on
    boat, have a chance to fight lots of fish and have more take home poundage. We will
    occasionally take five if everyone is in the same party, ask about pricing for five.

c/22

10. Ed Call

Media:
    Awesome, 1.5 to 2 hours of straight puking my pussy ass guts up until the first fish is on...then I am normally fine out in the deep water that I can't wade in. Razz me all you want, I'll toss my cookies and chum up some great action. Thanks C/22 that is a lot more local for some of us. If the timing and price can be doable I'd be up for getting in on a group.

11. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    SS and Mumbles, I would definitely be down for a charter if you guys want to give it a whirl. I say we book a trip.

12. Ed Call

Media:
    SS and Eric, I've got two 3 day weekends (F/S/S) in Aug/Sep/Oct that I could work with which is during the "prime season" listed on the site. Maybe we can get moving forward on a plan if that sounds cool to all.

13. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Yeah that sounds great. If I have time in the next few days I will put a call into Anil. I think Chris Puma may be interested in going as well.

14. Ed Call

Media:
    I heard that Puma guy drives a Subaru though...

15. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    right on. as long as I have some lead time to ask for leave days I'm a go.

10 wt with 300 yd backing, minimum! let's get ready to RUMBLE!

16. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    he does :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    you guys still interested in this? Never called, but was thinking about it again...

18. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Anybody have room for a Big Ugly guy on one of these trips? Im in.

19. Ed Call

Media:
    Eric, I'm still interested but scheduling the right date might be the biggest challenge for me. I certainly would like to put something like this on my calendar.

20. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

If you're coming from Boise and heading out of Oregon, it would make sense to fly into Portland and then it isn't that far to the coast. Yo Ed (Mumbles), I can make you a loan of a reel if you need one. I'm planning a tuna trip with Anil this year, too.