Albacore Guides

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by seanmjones, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Steve, I've got a Redington Breakwater 11/12 that I'm likely going to use...maybe it melts down...I have no idea. It has some cool karma though...

Two well respected members here have owned this reel and I know they know much more than I do about big fast fish in the salt water. Maybe they moved it along because it was not effective enough, maybe they just upgraded nicely.

I do hope to get onto one of those trips...but I bet I'll be puking my ass off until that first fish is on.
  2. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    There's nothing wrong with chumming the fish out there. I have a couple of Ross CLA 7 models if you blow yours up.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thanks Steve. I've heard nothing but good things about the Ross line. I only have one little Ross Rhythm myself, I like it a lot.

As for chumming, I fished a lot when on the Gulf Coast and chummed like that regularly. The few trips I've taken off our PNW coast have been very much the same. It is a long run out but if there is fish I suddenly am healed. If there are no fish then I'm just miserable. I think I recall seing one of Ibn or Anil's vids when there was some mad fish catching going on along with a bit of chum blowing too.
  4. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Ed - You'll be fine. Those reels have a good reputation for big fish on long runs.

If you guys are short a rod when the time comes to book - let me know. There is always a possibility that I could pull something like this off...

Eric
  5. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    YO E's (Eric and Ed) and JC,

let's do this... I think it would be a blast...
  6. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm a definite maybe here, but as far as scheduling goes - my vote would be that it does not overlap with when the Pinks are on the beach here at home..

Lord knows the Pinks are the rarest of all occasions; when decent sized fish are readily available around here...
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Three E's and a JC sounds cool to me. Timing will be everything for me too. I agree with E Herl that we don't leave fish (pinks on the beach) to find fish (human chum off shore). So long as the trip is a one or two day event I can probably pull it off without much time in the doghouse.
  8. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ok, I agree, do not leave fish to find fish...

Hmmmm late June early July then???
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Before the Pink festivities? Who's checking with Anil to see if that works for fish? I might be up for that.
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    The Albacore fishing starts later in the summer, probably late August through October if I'm not mistaken. Since I am a teacher, I rarely get to make a trip because school is just starting. I'm shooting for a late August trip this year. The weather patterns have a great deal to do with it too. It can get pretty nasty in late September and early October.
  11. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    That's about right Steve. Really all you're waiting on is the warmer water (64+) to come in to within boating distance from buoy 10 or there abouts. I've seen it within 15 miles but usually it's 25-50 miles out.
  12. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    So after pinky season then.... Chris and Steve, what is the typical window for good fishing for these guys? Is it only a couple of weeks?
  13. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    As far as I know, the best times are late August to late September, depending oin the weather patterns off the Oregon Coast. I know Anil at Puget Sound Fly Co. had to cancel at least one trip last year because of bad weather. But, definitely after the peak of Pink season seems the best. It seems it's about the same time as off La Push but I've never fished from there before. I'd call Anil and ask for sure. He's really knowledgeable and a good guy to talk with.
  14. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Steve sound like you might have the date I did. The first try was cancled with 4ft swells and 4 foot chop and rescheduled then the reschedule was cancled due to 8 foot swells and 4 foot chop and rescheduled than that one was cancled with 8 foot swells and 6-8 foot chop.
    All of which would have made crossing the bar bad enough but the real trouble would have been spotting the fish in those seas.
  15. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    There's no sense in tempting fate. I would rather live to fish another day. Tuna a great to catch and eat but I want many more years of flyfishing before I cash it in.
  16. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    The weather in September is a gamble, but it's also the best time to find tuna on the surface if the conditions are right. Out of the last 6 days I've had scheduled to go over the past 2 years, all but one have been canceled because of weather.
  17. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    I just posted the Tuna dates on our website:
    They are August 8, 16, 22, 30
    Septmeber 12/13 (Plan on booking both)
    $350
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Anil, is that the per angler fee? How may anglers for the boat? I seem to recall you having four guys so there was room to cast even though much of the time there was trolling to find fish. Is that right? Thanks.
  19. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
  20. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I don't know. Seems a bit out of my price range. Those videos look killer though. I'll have to think about saving that cash up for a single day out. Yes, that makes me a cheap bastard, true. I can fill the man fridge about six times with that money.