Albacore Tuna season is open in Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by coonrad, Mar 16, 2005.

1. coonrad New Member

marine area 10
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was just reading the WDFW regs on central Puget Sound (Marine area 10).

I know that some people have the problem of going fishing for SRCs and catching shaker cohos or something that is out of season this time of year (the guilt associated with this sort mishap can be excruciating).

Alas! All is not lost. The WDFW is offering a year round season on Albacore Tuna...and get this, no limit! and no minimum size!

This is a large, hard fighting fish, so I would reccomend a 12wt or greater as well as lots of anchovies to chum them up. (you will also need a lot, and I mean a lot of backing)

With all the rivers so low right now...I encourage everyone to get out to a beach or on the boat and go after those Puget Sound tuna! :thumb:

coonrad

Attached Files:

2. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Is it also open for bonefish?
  3. Sageman Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    No, but there is a catch and release bubble fishery for snook and redfish down by Vashon.
  4. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Baramundi and Giant Trevally have also been heating up in the south sound. Bring some celeocanth (sp?) flies as wel

Peace,
    Andy
  5. redwoods r. surdyk

snohomish ,washington
    i was recently e mailed na picture of a 1000 lb great white caught not to far from neah bay is it open season for the puget sound great white
  6. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Thanks a lot for blowing the regions best zipper lip. Thanks a lot!
  7. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +644 / 0
    Dont laugh: I have a friend who claims he caught a Grayling in the lower Hoh River recently. Despite the fact that he is a fisherman, and all questions of a fishermen's veracity aside, this guy is not a liar. So it troubles me. :confused:
  8. Jason Baker Member

Ft. Mill, SC
    He wasn't kidding......

You can target these fish off our shore!
  9. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    When do we think a shark tournament might happen?...reminds me of summers at Bayshore... :thumb:

AlpineTrout tied some great "chironomids" at the open tying table at AATF last night... :rofl:
  10. coonrad New Member

marine area 10
    Sorry to you and the rest of the underground puget sound tuna posse (UPSTP). It was too good to stay in the bag though! You know it. If it wasn't me someone else would have blown in it.

coonrad

PS: I would like to know why the WDFW puts that in there. I figure either 1) laziness, it's already in the coastal marine area regs, so just leave it everywhere 2) they have a since of humor 3) in the event some albacore decide to come in from the ocean, motor down the strait of juan de fuca, turn right at admiralty inlet and enter the sound, the WDFW will have their butts covered.

Has anyone ever heard of or caught a mackeral in puget sound (let alone an albacore)?
  11. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    As a matter of fact, back in the '60s, I did occasionally run into a school of mackeral off of Point No Point, and have even caught an adult shad while trolling for blackmouth in front of Pt Monroe. At first I thought it to be a herring with a growth problem, but a trip to the library solved that. If memory serves, it tasted like herring too. Youthful experimentation. All this of course long before commercial fishing cleaned out most the Sound. :(
  12. coonrad New Member

marine area 10
    wow, cool.

I guess there used to be a great true cod fishery in Agate pass.
    I think that's why it's closed to all fishing jan - march, in the hopes that it might rebound somewhat.
  13. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    It's funny that you should mention True Cod. When I was a young'n,we used to go down to the end of Warren Ave(before the bridge was built) in Bremerton and fish off the Cement plant docks and catch them fish. Very good eating. And back then there wasn't such a thing as a limit. But then again I was young and didn't need a license. :thumb:

Jim

I must have about a thousand of these stories,when I was young. You get these when you get older. :clown:
  14. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    One of the first fish I remember catching in Puget Sound area 11 was about an 8-10 LBS halibut. I have not heard any one catching one in over 15 years or more now.
  15. redwoods r. surdyk

snohomish ,washington
    im not sure how to do it yet but i will put up the pictures of the great white ibelieve it was caught about 20 miles from neah bay in canadian waters. we also used to catch alot of true cod in the waters off mukilteo and a few pacific tom cod. mid to late 70's
  16. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.
    Tuna(?), bottomfish, trout....I think we can safely say that Puget sound is OPEN YEAR ROUND, except for a few small sub areas that are "closed to fishing". But I don't think they are saying that there is a year round albacore season, just that if one gets lost and you happen to catch it, that its legal to keep. I have heard about a barracuda caught off Whidbey Island during an El NiƱo year...stranger things have happened....

CW :)
  17. Yes I to have stories to tell of the bountiful fishing that was in Puget Sound back in my youth. When I was young some of my first fishing expeditions were down at the fish docks on the Everett waterfront. Me, my brother, and the other neighbor kids would jig for these little fish, and we would bring buckets of em' home everytime we went! Our mothers would be ecstatic seeing all the little fishes in the buckets, with a twinkle and sparkle in my mom's eye she would proclaim " well little hedburner, it looks like fishstick friday again this week" ;) . Mmmm tender and golden brown, my mom could cook up the finest in the town. And the neatest thing about these fish was that there wasn't any bones, or fins, amazingly enough no guts either. "No bones or fins that you don't need those golden brown fishies is badass fish" The easiest fish to clean in all of fishdom. And they were excellent to put away into the freezer compartment of the ol' fridge to keep their little fishy freshness frozen for months. Well to make a really long story a whole lot shorter, not necessary any better though.
    We were naive in thinking that our great little zipped lip secret fishing would be around forever. But there was a dark cloud on the horizon. You see there was this old yankee sea captain at the docks who skippered a purse seiner who saw a golden brown oppurtunity to make a lot of money with the fishstick fishery. The captain http://www.gortons.com/products/18fishsticks.php along with his dutch skiff man http://www.pinnaclefoodscorp.com/WebPortals/Default.aspx?tabid=39 re did their nets and got at it.
    Well once these two started it wasn't long before all the other boats down there geared up for the fishstick runs. Then along came the Boldt decision. The final nail in the coffin. With dozens of purse seiners dropping sets between the moorring slips, and miles and miles of quarter inch mesh nylon gill nets bouyed by colorful red and white floats that the natives set out, this pressure soon depleted the fishstick runs. Gone forever and a distant but fond memory now. The only place that the fishsticks that you can still buy in stores or sometimes fresh from the fish mongers at Pike Place Market are the farm raised ones from down in the frigid waters off Chile.
    I still think there might be some schools of em' left. Most probably done in the south sound area. Some people down there who look like they're casting to SRC's or shaker coho might just be after fishsticks. Leland and Les Johnson are two, that I suspect know where they might still be found. But I bet it's a top secret zippered honey spot, and I wouldn't blame em' for keeping this a secret. :cool:
  18. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    I know that this was intended to be humorous but we did flyfish for Albacore off of the Washington coast in the late summer of 2002.
    If any of you are interested, we are planning a repeat trip this August/September. I am currently waiting for the Skipper to calculate cost (based on higher gas prices). If any of you are interested in testing your skills and tackle, drop me a message or check our website later.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

Attached Files:

19. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Anil,

Is that a two-handed rod next to the guy? So now I'm thinking people are spey casting for albacore? :confused: That picture looks like it might redefine "C&R": Catch and Roll (sushi). :beer2:

To everyone else who thinks tuna inside of Admiralty Inlet comes from a sushi bar: I have a friend who told me he once caught a small tuna while fishing around the San Juan Islands during an El Nino year. Go figure. The guy is an old friend of mine, and he has never given me reason to doubt him over all those years.

BTW, I've also caught mackeral out at Neah Bay. Thinking back, I really wish I was fly fishing back then!
  20. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    That's a 12 weight rod with a 'foregrip' or extended handle. They give added leverage for fighting big fish below the boat.
    Anil