Albany show report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Shawn West, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    I had planned to give a report on the Albany show, but I did not get around to see much of the happenings. I spent most of the show tying and teaching deer hair stacking. I decided to bring a spare vise just in case folks wanted to give deer hair a try. I was pleasantly surprised how many people sat down and gave it a spin (pun intended). I have pictures of a couple of youngsters that tried it for the first time. I will post the pictures tomorrow along with the story. These kids were great to work with.

My travel companions had told me that there were some nice deals to be made if you looked for them. Unfortunately for me, the only vendor booth I spent any time in was Wasatch. I ended up purchasing a couple pair of scissors. They are sharp and have serrated edges that work great for deer hair. I thought about purchasing another comb, but he sold out both Saturday and Sunday. They work great for getting out al of that fuzz from the deer hair.

I did take some time out from tying on Sunday to attend a smallmouth bass seminar. Joe Warren was the speaker. He provided a lot of quality information. Seminars that include the tackle used and pictures of quality fish are nice, but Joe took it a lot farther by explaining the whys behind where he fishes and what fly he chooses to use. If you ever get a chance to attend one of Joe's seminars, I highly recommend you go.

I did run into a few WWF members. The first guy to stop by and visit was Ron McNeal. It turns out Ron and I had spoken briefly last year at the show. We were watching Chris Healm perform his magic with deer hair. Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself Ron. It was a pleasure chatting. I caught up to Bob Newman while he was tying. Bob is definitely a talented tyer. I will be looking forward to watching him tie at next year's show. I ran into Jerry Dashofsky at the PHW booth. Jerry and I grew up in the Town of Tonawanda, New York. What a small world. I also got to see Finluver again. The only time I get to see him is at the Albany show. That is one of the many things I love about these shows. There are folks who attend that I only get to see once a year. Sometimes I forget the names, but I do not forget the faces. If you went to Albany, I would love to hear your take on the event.

Regards

Shawn

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL. Wasn't me. There were 3 Jerrys at the booth. Was he disabled? Marine? I'm from Fife, WA. Lol. I wanted to watch you tie too. But was busy too most of weekend. And think I'm the guy who bought that last brush from Wasatch for same reason you wanted it for lol.

3. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    My apologies for the confusion regarding Jerry. :eek:

I had decided to bring an additional vise to the show this year. I figured I could give a little instruction if someone was interested in giving deer hair stacking a try. I was pleasantly surprised how many people decided to give it a try.

I would like to introduce you to a couple of young men that I hope represent the future of our sport. The first young man is Ian. He had tried to spin hair once, but according to him, the results were less than desirable. Unfortunately for me, I did not think to take a photo of his finished fly. Ian ended up tying a Dahlberg Diver. When he was finished, the fly felt like it was made of foam. He had done a great job of packing the hair. Check out the focus in his eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next young man I would like to introduce you to is Kyle. This was Kyle's first time tying with deer hair. Kyle, like Ian, did a great job following instructions. Kyle chose to tie a popper. Kyle did a super job with his fly. This time I did take a photo of the finished bug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got to work with some bigger kids. Here is Brad Emery from Central Oregon PHW.

[​IMG]

I am very proud of both Ian and Kyle for their efforts at the vise. Thank you for letting me have the privilege of instructing you on the art of tying with deer hair. I would also like to thank all of the folks that stopped by and chatted/watched me at my tying station.

If you get the opportunity to share your fishing/tying knowledge with a youngster, please do so. I guarantee you will get more out of it than your students. The look of accomplishment on their faces when they are finished is well worth the effort.

Regards

Shawn

FinLuver likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

So from your report this was basically a support for bass fishing and promotion of bass in the state of Oregon. Never seemed that way when it was in Troutdale.

Sure glad I didn't go and never will!

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Mark, the FFF Oregon Council Flytying Expo started in Eugene and it was only recently that it moved to Albany.

I know this because when it was held in Eugene, I attended every event except the very first one.

It is hardly dedicated to warmwater species! Those tying bass patterns or providing programs are far and few between.

The Expo is 90% focused on flyfishing for steelhead, trout and salmon (in that order).

I know at one time there was a tying event held in Troutdale but the FFF event now held in Albany is not the same event.

FinLuver likes this.
  6. Preston

Preston Active Member

Probably the Fly Tiers Rendezvous, a smaller, low-key event which was held this year at the Jackson Armory near the Portland Airport.

FinLuver likes this.
  7. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    Mark...The Expo is definitely NOT a warmwater event. My report is based on my experience at the show. I primarily tie bass flies. If I had to guess, I would say warmwater flies and flyfishing may be 1% of the show. It is/was my intention to get others to post what they did and saw at the Expo. You would be doing yourself a disservice by avoiding the show based on my account. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Regards

Shawn

FinLuver likes this.
  8. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Member

After being at all and tying at all but maybe two of these events I can safely say that it is rare to see more than one or two tiers spinning hair out of the 150 to 200 demonstration tiers for the whole weekend.

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Shawn, all I had to read was that they had a bass fishing semi at the show! Why weren't you teaching tying muddlers and teaching our "up and comers" about the native species in our state and trying to protect them! Instead we may just be looking at the next generation voting against us in central and eastern and might as well add the southern part of the state of Oregon on every bass issue and trying to get rid of them or at least keep them out of our trophy trout waters. They have already cost us millions of dollars to try and control and trying to restore so many fisheries in our state. I actually erased a lot of what I wrote in my first post trying not to be a "TROLL" but this issue is a very real issue that it seems so few even care about!

If the FFF wants to run bass seminars for fly fishing it sure in the hell shouldn't be happening in Oregon! They have the rest of the united states to promote bass fishing and this is "the great pacific northwest" or at least that's what we used to call it and were proud of all our cold water fisheries. But I bet if the members of Oregon B.A.S.S read this they would jump up and down with joy! But than again maybe you are a member and I'm writing to deaf ears.

Gat, one minute you are posting about hating bass at Davis and how it destroyed the fishery and the next your doing a write-up with pics from the 80's about tubing for bass in the Umpqua and showing how to tie awesome working bass patterns in the warmwater section! It's everyones "RIGHT" to support what they want and I do not support anything bass in my state period! After seeing your post in the warmwater section on the Umpqua bass and promoting them "supporting" I actually thought about using the ignore button for the first time!

I'm sure all the native steelhead and salmon smolt just love all the smallmouth in the Umpqua!

To support anything bass fishing in Oregon is to support the destruction of all salmon - steelhead - and trout in our state period! To me there are no if-and or but's......

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Mark, I have nothing against bass that have no effect on trout. That is certainly not the case. Unlike you, I do not have a blanket hate of bass because I fly fish for anything. If trout can't live there and bass can, I'll fish for the bass.

This is the reason I'm down on the illegal planting of bass in the trout lakes. I have not deviated in the least from that stance.

The smallmouth in the Umpqua is a situation that is a bit more complicated than Davis. As it is a river, it is damned hard to get rid of the things and the very reason I suggest those who like eating bass go to the Umpqua to catch and keep the smallmouth. It is also more difficult to prove the smallmouth bass in a large river have impacted the trout, steelhead and salmon but there is a good chance they have.

Regardless the bass are not supposed to be there in any case so they shouldn't be and I have no problem suggesting folks fish for them and take them away. Same goes for Davis, Crane, Wick, etc.

Just to be absolutely clear, I primarily fish for bass in private farm ponds and lakes close to my home and trout do not nor could not live in those lakes. I do not promote the planting of bass in Oregon but if they are here and have no impact on a trout fishery, I will fish for the suckers. Same as I do browns (not native), brook trout (not native) and atlantic salmon (not native).

And if I've offended you because of my position on bass, please do use the ignore function.

11. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Whoa! Someone woke up cranky. Jeez! The show was my favorite of all that I have attended. There were more booths with organizations dedicated to saving our waters and our TROUT than ever. Mark Kraniger, perhaps you might attend next year and observe the 60 or 70 folks tying trout and steelhead flies. Trout flies. Steelhead flies. No cranky flies. Your rush to judgment is odd.

12. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Mark K.

So from your report this was basically a support for bass fishing and promotion of bass in the state of Oregon. Never seemed that way when it was in Troutdale.

Sure glad I didn't go and never will!
    --------------------------------------

Puppies and Corn Flakes do not mix...just sayin' ;)

GREAT REPORT...SHAWN WEST
    Great to see ya!! :)

13. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Gene...

The smallmouth in the Umpqua is a situation that is a bit more complicated than Davis. As it is a river, it is damned hard to get rid of the things and the very reason I suggest those who like eating bass go to the Umpqua to catch and keep the smallmouth. It is also more difficult to prove the smallmouth bass in a large river have impacted the trout, steelhead and salmon but there is a good chance they have.
    ----------------------------------------------------

They (ODFW) have data on the predation by bass during the "non-out migration" of smolts. They say it's the bass in the "under 12" range that eat smolts; larger than that and they eat the what the "trouts/salmons" eat...bugs.

ODFW bought some "special" equipment to get the data for "out migration" period, back in 2011, but as to date have yet to fully utilize the equipment, due to water conditions - either too high or too low. (Contact Laura in the Roseburg office for further information)

14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Fin, when I originally researched the impact of the smallies on the salmon, trout, steelhead, the ODF&W bio at the time had no data indicating they were seriously doing so. Evidently, they changed their minds. So... what the hell are they going to do about it?

Kill off the entire Umpqua system to remove the illegally planted smallmouth bass? If they can't remove the illegally planted LMB from Davis Lake than they sure as hell can't rid the entire Umpqua system of the bass. If they can, they are certainly welcome to do so... and take out the illegally planted bass at Davis, Crane and Wick while they are at it.

Sounds to me like they are using tax dollars to study the impact of the smallies on the other species of fish in the Umpqua when they have absolutely no plan for removing illegally planted bass in trout fisheries anywhere in Oregon. So why bother with the study? They won't and most likely can't rid the system of the bass.

Instead of making studies, the ODF&W should be making plans to remove the illegally planted bass in trout lakes. They can spend all the money they want making studies but they sure as hell never do anything about the findings.

15. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Gene...the data they do have, is that there was "minimal impact" by the youngins' (bass) through many years of collection; it's the data of "out migraton" that they are really interested in and have no data. Could it be the older folks and youngins' (bass) readily partake in the buffet during this time?

One thing or idea that was discussed and almost had unanimous consensus at the CPM meeting, was lifting any limit on smallies for the Umpqua, as part of controlling the CPM's "predation" issues . Hope they decide to do so.