Aleka Reels

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Abomb, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Searched and came up empty. Anyone have one? I know they are a new company but very interested in hearing some reviews. Looking at the A4. Bueller?..........

2. chief

chief Active Member

I already have a lot of gear, but I kept seeing their ads on this site, and went ahead and bought two of the A4 5/6 reels and a couple of extra spools. I'm not sure where they ship from (I think the UK), but the shipping charges were pretty steep - something like $25. But the total cost for 2 reels and 2 spools was still under $300, and they arrived within 4 days after I ordered, so they appear to have good processes for service.

On first inspection I found the machining and finish to be quite good, and the drag smooth with a lot of range. I have only had them out on the water once so far, but I liked the way they performed. The large arbor is nice, and the weight balances well on my rod. They don't have a huge amount of backing capacity (75 yards) if that is important to you. In general I am happy with the value received. From my experience so far I would recommend them.

3. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

They are now a forum sponsor. did you see that?

4. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Chief: Thanks, so they are machined. You bought the exact reel I was looking at. Only 75yds of backing is not a big deal for me since this going on a trout rod. How well are they balanced? Any wobble when high speed is applied?

WABOWMAN: Thanks captain obvious! What's your point? The fact they have money to buy an add tells me nothing of their product. Do you have one of their reels? Specifically an A4?

5. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

I was just saying sometimes it nice to support the companies that support this forum.No i dont have one of there reels but have heard good things about the rods.
    Dont need to be an a$$!

6. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Wasn't trying to be an ass. Their adds are hard to miss, hence my question!! Just because someone buys sponsorship to this place does not mean they automatically get my $. I have supported MANY sponsors of this place. My post was in jest man, sorry you and scooney did not like it.

7. chief

chief Active Member

Yes they are machined, and the workmanship looks good. Balance is also good. No wobble. I think the quality is quite good.

8. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Thanks again Chief!! Looks like I may have to get one and report back since it seems like very few people have these reels. Plus a 28 day return policy makes it even a little easier. Hope they try not to gouge me to hard on the shipping.

9. shawn k

shawn k Member

I am going to have to say pass. There are several flyshops in this state that are struggling to keep the doors open and would love to take your money. They also sell products that are in the same price range that are bomb proof. So why would anybody buy cheap imported crap from some unknown company that could be gone tomorrow.

10. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

I give my local shops PLENTY of my money. This reel intrigues me, good looking reel, and for $89! You do realize most reels are imported right? ALso how do you know they are cheap crap? Have you used one? If so please enlighten me and I may look somewhere else!

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I also support the local guys-well, Ellensburg anyway, since that's the closest couple of shops to me. However, their products are somewhat limited, and if I can't get it there, I get on the phone. Last week I got an Aleka for sea-runs, a 6-wt, and am very pleased with it! Their customer service was very good, too, and a good rod for $90? I'll take that over a $700 Sage any day!

12. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    After doing my research on a reel to use for sea run cutts, I'm ordering an A4 tomorrow.

13. chief

chief Active Member

I frequent fly shops a lot, and am pretty familiar with the inventory most of them carry. I agree they deserve our support when it makes sense. But please enlighten me. What reel can I buy at a fly shop that is bomb proof and not "cheap imported crap" for under $100. Where do you think Redington, TFO, Echo, Allen, and all the lower end reels from the big names are made?