Alex Rogan Salmon Fly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

The Alex Rogan fly is a "Rogans Special". Rogan was considered by many to be the finest tyer in the 20's & 30's. The ineteresting thing about this fly is the hackle is all gold tinsel. He developed this style both for salmon flies and streamers for landlocked salmon.

The smaller fly is a well used (very successfully!) Red Wing with an Indian Crow body that I tied in the mid 80's. I used it for about 4 seasons as a change-up fly. This fly worked for both winter and summer steelhead.

I have an odd habit of using smaller flies for winter steelhead. The bigger flies seem to spook them. Anybody else find this to be true? The streams that I fish are small and clear, and I can often see the fish.

McNeese

2. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    You have quite a collection Dave,most impressive indeed and I thank you for sharing once again.

Hmmm, I am in the other camp "Big Fly". While I do fish some smaller rivers and streams up here, most of the rivers are Santiam size and larger.Either way though,in winter I tend to fish large flys if not downright huge flys at times.If I know fish are present and have not moved a fish I will often switch to a smaller fly or just another color- this often does the trick but see no real difference to whether it's a color change or a size change that does it.Perhaps it's just a "change".I have gone the other way as well--from a size 4 Fall Favorite standard tye to big 2/0 Aid Marabou and caught fish--Need more testing--LOL

I think that the most agressive fish will take small flies but that the most fish will take big fly's.Forgot whom that quote is attributed.

thanks again, Davy

anyway--thanks for sharing

3. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

I have spent 45 years catching these things and big works under certain circumstances. Mainly big rivers. I prefer the small streams. There are those moments when I need the Umpqua Special 3/0 or a variant of the Brads Brat, or the black snake at 7/0, but I have taken more fish on small flies, because of river conditions. Bad water, bigger flies- at times. But if the location of the catch is recorded I use a smaller fly first. Also, if I can see the fish first hand, I definitely use a small fly first. I find big flies spook fish in a small confined area. Big water, known local, big fly first. It's the color and style.. presentation.. and depth , etc.. that over a long record counts.
    I fish a 5/0 skunk on the Umpqua, 4 Crawdad on the Santiam , size 6 Redwing on the Elk.
    There are several rivers I wished the old 5 WA. masters could have fished to see the difference between Washington and Oregon rivers. There were many more steelhead in the southern Oregon rivers that were kept secret.

McNeese

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Wow Dave, your so right,I didn't go into the detail you did and thank you for that.Yeah--the S.Oregon streams--how special and the streams there around Salem I grew up fishing, yea, real special.Ever fish the small run in the Abiqua?May not exist anymore, but perhaps there are more fish now--that was 32 years ago when I fished for steelhead in it last.

5. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Dave, excellent photo, great composition and super fun flies. What a great couple of bugs to shoot together....good choice.
    I was just taking a shot of a small winter run fly that I have great sucsess with, a dark #6 spey. I agree with you about a small fly where the fish don't have as much room to move, somtimes I even get VERY fresh fish in big water that seem super agressive to modest flies but a little shy of larger stuff. Its almost like they are so fresh their high strung.....
    Anyway, thanks for the comments

6. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    That hackle is just crazy. . . hate to lose that on a rock