Alittle help there veterans!

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Pat M, May 10, 2006.

1. Pat M Chasing Tiger Trout

Swing Step Swing
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Got a question for you veteran tiers out there.....Lets say your tying a hopper pattern and your using deer hair and when you spin the hair and want to pull it back to form a head, what techniques do you guys use to keep the deer fibers straight and keep them universal when your pulling the hair back? I was thinking of using a small straw than wrapping the thread around the hair. Has anyone tried this method? Need some tips. Thanks. RC :cool:
  2. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    i just use my fingers. i assume you are talking about tying the bullet head style
  3. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    I'm by no means a 'veteran' tyer, but can weigh in a bit. I've not tried the straw technique, but have heard of it being done and think it's a good idea to try. I use my fingers to pull back the hair -- it sometimes takes a few tries until there aren't any strays hanging out, but you get the hang of it pretty quick.

For me, the trick is spinning so that you have enough length to be able to pull it all back fairly easily while not making the hopper look ridiculous. It's worked so far, and in August and September the Yak fish sure like them.
  4. Pat M Chasing Tiger Trout

Swing Step Swing
    thats what I'm talking about....how do you keep all the fibers straight without them twisting when you tie the head off?
  5. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    You can also "anticipate" the twist that the thread wants to put in the deer hair. Rather than holding the hair straight when you're ready to tie the bullet head down, pre-twist the hair such that the pressure of the tying thread will simply position it to end up straight. Another alternative is to apply a loose loop over the tie-down position and then keep pushing the hair into the appropriate orientation as you increase the pressure.

Steve
  6. Pat M Chasing Tiger Trout

Swing Step Swing
    Thanks Steve I'll giv'r a go and see if that helps.
  7. sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I just use my fingers and a soft loop as well but I've heard a .22 cal shell works good.
  8. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    A bic pen with the ink tube and point taken out works very well. And Griffin has a very nice set of disks with rubber in the center of them that work better than anything I've ever used on bullet heads.
  9. Pat M Chasing Tiger Trout

Swing Step Swing
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll give a few of them a try.:cool: