Alittle Rant about Lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Trout Master, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

From time to time I check out Wa_--lakes .com to see whats up. I noticed yesterday a post about chopaka. This guy brags about how many fish he caught etc. Someone else asked about the water temps, I added that the lake is best left alone in the hotter months due to the fact of what happens to rainbows ,fighting it in the warmer temps. The guy the pm's me about how not to lecture where one should fish. I try to let him know that I wasnt and just trying to educate him. He blasted me again and says the fish were all over even in the shallows so the water temps DONT hurt the fish. Anyway when I first got on that site 10 years ago I had been to lil cavanaugh and fished it but noticed how trashey it was, I asked for help doing some clean up. Only people that showed up were scott salzar,old man jim, myself and zen leecher and the site owner mike. It seems only fly people care anymore. That site it full of people that dont care about how to treat fish ,etc etc. etc. My rant

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    He sounded a bit touchy. Maybe he hadn't had his morning coffee.

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Yea I've read guys bragging about catching
    20 trout on powerbait and releasing them to
    get bigger ones with dead fish floating all around them.

Doorknobs.

DK

4. Trout Master

He says he was fishing chronies, someone else asked what the temps were. You should see the crap he is now sending me on pm's. This guy is a total phucking idiot when it comes to surival of trout in warm water after fighting them.

5. Caveman

Caveman Member

Maybe we all should blast him. I saw that post but didn't want to post. I think I might now.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't help myself.

7. Trout Master

Good one Kerry .

8. Ryan Singh-Cundy

Ryan Singh-Cundy Member

gave him a piece of my mind

9. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    After reading the post on the other site and on WFF, here's how it could be perceived-

New Fly Guy (maybe a younger dude?) catches his first hatchery trout on a fly, in open and legal waters and is super excited. Said guy then gets called out from only fly people care anymore Guy. New fly guy then gets flamed on another site.

I'm not sure I see the point of flaming New Fly Guy on this site.

Maybe both sides could of handled it better:confused:?

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Its the internet.

11. Trout Master

It got killed .

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Kinda tight over there. To each their own I guess. Perhaps the guy will take the time to learn about stress on fish due to high water temps but likely not, to arrogant. He already knows it all.

At least it was a little distraction from a boring day at work.

13. Trout Master

I have noticed that about that site, no room for education on there.

14. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

A whole different crowd fishes lakes. Put & take, a different crowd. Different attitudes concerning the fishery. Just some of the reasons I find myself fishing lakes less & less frequently than in years past.

15. Clarki

Clarki I'd rather be reading water

TroutMaster: It was I who had originally posted the question about Squalicum Lake and how water temperatures change fish feeding patterns. I had not previously known that there was a direct relationship between higher water temperatures and how fishing pressure could endanger the trout. Your response to my question was to wait until September. If your response to the other angler on walakes.com was anything similar to the one you sent me, then it was not very educational. If your desire as a "TroutMaster" is to educate lesser knowledgable anglers then I would suggest that you use your masterful skills a bit more effectively. Maybe an e-link with information about how fishing pressure hurts trout in high temp waters would be helpful. I will now do my research.... I wonder if colder than normal water temps have the same effect?

Are Steelhead migrating up a river to spawn not fragile? Should they too be left alone to fulfill their sole biological function?

I did go fishing this morning on Squalicum, and yes I did sore mouth a couple Triploids with a micro caddis at the short hatch time between 5:45 and 6:30. I noticed that one of the trout I hooked was rather lethargic. I pulled it in within about 20 seconds and gave it a quick farewell.

Be it know that it was not I that PM'd the TroutMaster, it must have been the New Fly Guy from the other site.

By the way, I cleaned up a bunch of trash at the boat launch at Squalicum this morning. Apparently, not just Fly guys are concerned about cleanliness.

Dan

16. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Sounds a lot like a generalization to me. You could say the same thing about steelheaders as well: they only care about big fish and most catch hatchery planters which get bonked and barbecued.

In truth, reality is far from either generalization. Most of the lake fishers I know are C&R and do their damndest to get away from crowds and the catch & kill folks.

K

17. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Kerry, that Guy needs to get 'laid' very badly. People like him need to stay in bed ... Hummmm, let me rethink that. Twit may reproduce!!??

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

My Bad ...
    :>(
    fae

18. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

boy i hear ya, so many slob fly guys these days, fishing open waters legaly, and so selfish, kinda like those guys advocating for wild steelhead, screaming at people cause their belly is outa the water in a photo and at the same time fishing for them aware of the mortality issue. sheeeesh, some people huh?

19. markdmen

markdmen New Member

It doesn't seem to matter where you go, there seems to be a prevailing attitude among certain types of people that once they get outdoors, they are entitled to behave anyway they see fit. Its one reason I prefer to fish private, fee fisheries. You still run into the occasional idiot, but in general, when people pay to rent a cabin and pay a fee to fish, they tend to be better stewards of the resource and less concerned about only themselves. I've literally been knocked off my twin 20 lb. anchors by trollers who don't look where they are going. Simply amazing.

20. bigman

bigman New Member

I did not see anything wrong with that individuals fishing activity. Everything that fisherman did was legal. Your opinions or views about a certain lake are only opinions. Why don't you try to have Chopaka shutdown in the summer time to "protect the fish". NO not only fly guys care anymore. If people are legally fishing then there is no reason to bash them or say they don't care.