all about the moments

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Scott Whited, Jul 10, 2013.

1. I love those moments that become the trip, the day, the memory. My favorite recent moment in fishing happened a few days ago somewhere on the upper yak. I had fished with moderate success-meaning, I had the chance to have a great day but of course missed enough fish to call it decent. (Which as everyone knows also means I have not landed anything big.) I sat on log to just watch the water and enjoy the place when I heard a loud "splat" on the upstream side on the other side of a very large overturned log. I hopped on the log in hopes of seeing what I assumed would be a large beaver but nothing. I sat back down on my log and lit a smoke, something I had let myself take back up but only for this trip. It was a really beautiful spot, on a beautiful day and the cigarette I must say tasted as unfortunately good as they can. And then the maker of the splash, a two foot long chinook jumped out of the water in front of me. Just a really cool moment. And then it was gone. And on the next overhanging branch upstream a fish rose. My paradrake landed in the right spot with an easy drift. The trout took and was large. I got it on the reel and fuck, my drag is too tight, it's a big fish, it's downstream and tight on the line, and as I turn down my drag my fly comes out, DAMN! I guess 20 inches since I didn't catch him, (making him about 18, tops). And I have to laugh. And the moment is over.

Steve Call and jeff bandy like this.
  2. Nice. There are some big fish up there. Just not that many.

3. Very nice. Years ago now while fishing up there targeting and landing several small fish in a back eddy, I noticed a very large fish rising in the mid current. After several failed attempts, I finally managed to make a perfect cast with an ultra large caddis and the fish took without hesitation. The fight on, I practically skipped up and down the bank, excited for my first ever famed uber large Yakima bow. Closer, then closer, then closer and... WTF it turned out that a 30" Chinook either decided to take my dry or through some twist of amazing timing I drifted that fly right into its mouth as it breeched the surface. Either way it is the largest fish I've ever landed on the Yakima. I have a buddy who still doesn't believe me, even with the pics. What more could I do to prove it, make it happen again?

4. Lies. lies, lies. No pictures means it didn't happen.:D:D LOL

5. Like they say Old Man as we fisherman get older all we can remember are the lies of the big ones.:confused::rolleyes:

6. Isn't it interesting that many of the more memorable "moments" involve losing a fish? Certainly true for me ...