All-dubbing leeches

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jan 7, 2013.

1. My latest batch of leeches. Basically simi seal leeches except I used a different dubbing (Stalcup sparkle leech). Some on 60-degree jig hooks in #12, some on 3XL streamer hooks #10. Is it March yet?

IMG_2977.JPG

2. NIce! After reading Ford Fender's (Tim Lockhart) new book on stillwater, he said he uses a Simi Seal leech about 95% of the time on stillwater. I have since been tying up a bunch of Simi Seal Leeches! Rick

3. I usually do these with marabou tails . . .as the black one on the far left has. But I'm on a bit of a quest to find the simplest, most effective patterns for stillwater trout. If that means skip the marabou and just tie in a folded clump of dubbing for the tail, all the better. These are in the <5min category to tie.

P.S. for the guys that went to the Rocky Ford freezeout on 12/29, the leech on the far left accounted for about 6 fish that morning.

Pat Lat and McNasty like this.
  4. +1 on the SimiSeal. Islander turned me on to that material last fall and I ordered a 12 pack of various colors to see which one eventually works the best. I used a simi level leech on a local zipper lips lake in the fall and scored quite a number of cookie cutter 16" rainbows. And at Big Meadow right at the end of the season I was catching fish constantly until I broke off the last simi I had with me that day. That won't happen this year as I am well stocked now.

The easiest leech you will ever tie and seemingly one of the best.

Ive

troutpocket likes this.
  5. I'm a big fan of simi seal, and I really like your ties! I've experimented briefly with your concept (keep it simple, stupid!), but I haven't stuck with the all-dubbing fly. I usually use marabou as well, but I never thought of tying a clump of dubbing at the tail.It looks great!

I was about to tie up some dubbing leeches, using some flashabou as the dubbing loop material. I lost the flies I had tied up this way before, but a size 8-10 3xl with a beadhead helped me into a number of 16-20" fish at Pass Lake a couple winters ago.

troutpocket likes this.
  6. Nice! I tied up a bunch of simiseal leeches in the Canadian black color for a friend as payment for taking me out in his boat, but have yet to use any myself. I have had success on some similar style leeches tied with cream and chocolate colored alpaca though.

What are your favorite colors/blends?

7. I have moved to dubbing tails for quite a few of my buggers. one thing I do not like about marabou is how needle thing it gets, in rivers I think the current helps move the marabou better but in still waters it just goes down to a needle size behind the fly. when trolling I want something that stays it's profile when a large fish is following. when I take a bugger out of the water that is tied with marabou the tail is so thin it looks odd next to the body of a bugger. with longer dubbings and all the flash they can put in the dubbing they make great tails that somewhat keep there profile when wet.

Even when stripped back I don't think marabou actually fans back out with every strip! it just sticks to itself and stays that way when wet. dubbing tails keep the profile I want and move when stripped but fan back out at every strip - or at least are more prone to fan back out as they say marabou does.

I always try and tie my flies as how they look wet - not dry, and what the fish see not what I see! those ties are great trout and I love semi seal dubbing, wrapped and brushed back it rocks for buggers bodies and as you can see it makes great tails also.

jimmydub likes this.
  8. Gary - I used four colors; from L to R you are looking at black-peacock, blood red, and dirty olive w/ pumpkin orange tails.

Next time I'm in a shop that carries AZ simiseal I'll pick out some more that catch my eye. Stalcup sparkle leech is out of production but has slightly softer/finer fibers that are just a tad longer than simiseal with a little less flash. I found a bunch of it in a discount bin years ago.

9. Shim Hogan had a version of these he did about 20-25 years ago back when he had a fly store in NW Washington.

10. Mark - I'm looking forward to trying out the dubbing tail leeches. Great to hear from others that have had success!

I think the quality of the marabou makes a big difference for how it performs as tail material. I got some Jay Fair marabou a few years ago and it was a real eye opener. Big, bushy plumes with long, thick fibers. I strip it off the stem and tie it in - the colors are vivid - looks like a paintbrush in the water. Totally different material than regular strung 'bou. Another material that is great for smaller streamer tails is pine squirrel strips - not as bulky as bunny but great profile and movement.

11. I used to use a lot of squirrel tail when I was younger and shot them ;) have been reading Ira mentioning this also as a few others have! Hmmm hang back squirrel leeches - HMMMM

Irafly likes this.
  12. Have you tried tying in the marabou by the tip, rather than the butt? I find that tying in by the tip forces the fibers apart a little easier in stillwater. I like the difference in function enough that I usually tie half my buggers by the tips and the others by the butts. I even tie up another half with both techniques, just to bend the rules of math and find a compromise between the two. It's usually a little more wasteful or difficult to tie in by the tips, but I've found enough of a difference in the action to do it often and save the leftovers as dubbing.

Also, leeches tend to be thicker at the posterior than the anterior while in motion. Having a larger head than tail on a leech fly doesn't mimic the natural profile as much. Tying in by the tips allows for an easier capture of the "true" shape of a leech I think, and adds a variety of movement to the fly as it falls through the water column.

I can't take credit for this, of course. Zen leecher was the first to show me the tie in by the tips, and that sweet variety of bugger got me into a beautful 4 lb triploid about a month later.

GAT and troutpocket like this.
  13. Thanks for posting those, troutpocket. I'll have to eventually tie some of those...or something very similar. I can see there's no gittin' away from it!
    Gary gave me a couple of wicked looking ones that I've been dying to try out.

I strip my marabou from the quill and get a good thick bunch together before I tie it in for a tail on my lake buggers, especially if I'm mixing colors. I try to avoid making it too thin by tying in as thick a bunch as I can fit on the hook without over-bulking it. On # 8 and #6 hooks, I'm using 3/0 mono cord so that I can really reef down on it and get it whipped in tight.
    I seem to get good tail action with it, especially when its on a BH bugger tied on to my leader with a non-slip mono loop, a knot which usually allows for great jigging action, when head-weighted fly is stripped. I almost always use a non-slip mono loop with buggers and streamers.

14. Now all they need to do is feed the birds glitter so they grow the feather with flash in them like a lot of the dubbings have now. I hate putting flash in with marabou it just does not look natural to me. but that's just me:) with the sparkle dubbing nowadays it's as simple as winding the thread on the hook. I just do not like marabou in the first place:p

15. TP nice looking bait! Of course, I never met a Simi Seal leech I didn't like :D

16. Great looking flies! I've been experimenting with level bugs too, and I like the jig hook idea. I'm curious what sort of bead you use for the head - are you using a slotted tungsten bead, or something else?

17. Has anyone tried fin raccoon for tails?

18. Slotted tungsten beads.