Allen fly reel's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Feb 17, 2012.

1. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Ok, I'm looking for a similar reel to the ross evolution reel. I found Allen reel's, do any of you have any experience with them. and how do they compare, I'm looking for 5-6 wt light in weight. thanks for your input.

2. Breck

Breck Active Member

I have an Allen Trout 5/6 and an Alpha II 7/8. Both are new and relatively untested. They seem well made with smooth drags. I just need to get them both out and get some fish on them.

3. jason.allen

jason.allen Member

I went to their website to get an extra spool for the Alpha II, and it looks like they are out of stock of all of the Alpha IIs. I havent had a chance to test mine, but notice that the line tends to build up unevenly. Could just be me though.

4. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    I have used the Alpha II 7/8 and I also have a 9/10 but haven't had a fish make a run on it yet. I found them to be well built and really smooth and a good deal for the price. They are pretty damn smooth out of the box, but I like to tinker and took it apart and lubed/greased the shit out of them and now they're like butter.

I have no experience with the Trout series or the original Alpha's but I can only imagine that they are just as good. You also can't beat the price.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have two Allen reels. Being that I'm an old man I have trouble remembering which ones they are. Besides they are out in my Truck and I to lazy to go outside and look at them to see which ones they are. But they both work well. Smooth and quiet.

Jim

6. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    They are not good reels. I have had two fail on me. One was a replacement for the first breaking after literally two trips. The replacement broke after the third trip. A third replacement is supposedly in the mail - but I haven't heard anything for a month.

They are great people and I wish them the best. But, there are a lot of kinks to be worked out before I have enough faith to ever buy another product from them.

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You cannnot compare them to a Ross Evolution. I have a 9/10 and it's an okay reel but like the others, it's relatively untested. I wouldn't try it in salt water like an Evolution. Ross Reels have a long history of quality and most are American made. The ones that are not are sold under the Ross Worldwide label. They don't have the same lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. Given the choice, I'd buy the Ross even though the Allen guys are really good guys. They have supply problems because they are a small company and their products are inexpensive; therefore in high demand by less well healed fly fishermen.

8. tpugliese

tpugliese New Member

Media:
    I purchased two 5/6 Trout series reels. they seem well made, smooth and quiet and I have no complaints. I purchased them when they offered a member discount so the price was great. Don't know if that is still available, you might check though. Been thinking about picking up a couple spare spools too. I'm not a hardcore fisherman, more of a weekend warrior, so I probably will never put them through what a lot of others on here will do.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    as stated in a previous thread and on the phone, the issues you had have been completely fixed with the redesigns that happened last fall. We have sold well over a thousand reels since, and have had less than .5% have any kind of issue. Prior to the redesign, there were definite issues that have since been addressed.

10. chief

chief Active Member

I have had mixed results with their reels. I bought one of the Trout 5-7 series reels when they first came out and it failed on me during a trip to Alaska. I sent it in for repair and they said it was a known flaw that they had fixed, but my reel must have slipped through quality control. The reel has worked OK since they repaired it, but the drag doesn't seem as smooth as it should be.

They have always been generous with adding value to the transactions I have had with them. I think they are a company that is trying hard, but has some issues with inconsistancy in their products. But they seem to want to make good quality products that are priced so they are accessible. So I gave them another chance, and purchased some of the smaller 3-4 Trout series reels last Fall but haven't had them out on the water yet. They appear to be decent quality and the drags seem fine in my living room. They are a good value assuming they don't have issues when I finally give them some use.

11. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    My Alpha II 7/8 is the shiz.

12. Caveman

Caveman Member

I bought mine last summer. Just wondering if I need to know if they need to be redesigned or are they ok.

Adam

13. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have the Alpha II 7/8 and 9/10 I've worked them pretty hard and caught between 25 and 30 salmon on them this year and haven't had a fail so far. I treat my gear pretty rough and so far they've held up pretty well against my propensity to coffee grinder sand out of them.

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I wouldn't bring it up if the issue was resolved Evan. So far it's not and so I'll tell my honest experience when someone asks for an opinion.

I'm happy to hear that the new reels seem to be holding up well. If that's the case, then I'm sure my one negative experience will drown out over time.

15. AllenFlyFishing

AllenFlyFishing Allen Fly Fishing

Home Page:
    Jesse, I understand your concern. I would feel the same way. I hope in the future you will come back as a customer when you see one of our newer reels on the water.

At the start my R&D was kinda fast. Now, we have 2013 products we are already prototyping, testing, and improving before we go live. I now travel to our mfg partners and have QC training to assure we are getting the product(s) we are developing. As for the Alpha 2 reel I promised you; I assumed you already received it. I've been out of the country and at trade shows for most the month. When I have meetings with the warehouse this was never brought up as an issue.

I'm proud of our progress and confident of the quality of product we are putting out. Evan has cycled out most of the old reels with new components.

If you have a reel from prior to August 2011, the components can be easily upgraded to work like the new models. Email myself ( info@allenflyfishing.com ) or Evan (evan@allenflyfishing.com)

Thank you

Justin

16. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Justin,

I strongly suggest you buy this book for yourself and staff. "The Nordstrom Way to Customer Service Excellence: A Handbook For Implementing Great Service in Your Organization". http://www.amazon.com/Nordstrom-Way-Customer-Service-Excellence/dp/0471702862/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329543775&sr=8-2

In your reply you call the customer's right to have an opinion into question by saying he's biased. Then you essentially admit to putting out a poor quality product. (After this I can imagine why Jesse has some heartburn.) Then you further admit your staff dropped the ball on sending the replacement reel.

Smart businessmen don't blame the customer for their failings.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    I bought two 1st generation Allen Alpha reels in February 2010. Both had identical freespool problems, and after two tries over 5 weeks to repair, I got two warranty replacements that each locked up. Though not earnestly pursuing it because my fishing trips didn't call for the use of those reels lets just say that after 6 months of asking for and being promised advance cross-ship replacements (common after a heavy history of failures in the computer industry to maintain Customer satisfaction) but never sent then no response to repeated PMs and emails (I have the PM and email threads) I gave up. After ~20 months I recently saw Justin's offer to remedy Jesse's problem and took one last shot by contacting Justin. Though not quite as originally promised Justin and Evan provided an acceptable replacement/upgrade solution for me in two weeks with what at a glance is obviously a better design. Justin and Evan say their new designs are virtually trouble free and though I haven't had mine out yet (Sunday! :)) I have no reason to say otherwise. Allen reels have an exquisite feel when functioning properly and the machine tolerances on these replacement reels are noticably better.

All that said, I cannot honestly compare a Ross Evolution to Allen reels. Any Ross USA reel even though priced 150% to 300% higher is an investment in quality and support that will last throughout your lifetime and is a tremendous value. Ross USA reels will maintain good resale value if you are into that. My personal experience is Ross warranty service is exceptionally good, fast, and free. I agree with Steve and unequivocally recommend Ross.

18. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    Daaaaaamn!!! Droppin sum kanawledge MikeT on the microphone:)

19. LyNcH

LyNcH Steelhead Junkie

Wow, I'm not reading it that way at all, I think he is being rather diplomatic. If you bought a tire and it went flat 2 times in 5 days and then have to wait a month for a third one, would it not be unreasonable to comment on the quality and customer service of the tire/retailer? I think it's an interesting way to start a thread to a customer and to future/current customers. Early on in you did something similar to me, we worked it out, and I have since bought products from you because I like to support small business companies.

20. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Do you hear that? *pop*popitty pop*ttsssss*popopopopop*

Mumbles, bring the beer over...!