Allen fly reel's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    I've never had any issues with their reels. I've got one of the new Alpha III's that I played around with in Hawai'i- didn't get any fish action on it to test it out, but it is solid and smooth and I like the new deign.
    For their price- being fully machined- you can't beat them.
  2. Fly Away New Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Last year I had the drag go south on my Nautilus reel, and my fishing partner's Lamson fell apart while he was fighting a steelhead (he lost the fish). These are both good reels, and they cost a lot more than an Allen. I have three Allens, including a Kraken, and none has failed yet. The first time I used it my Kraken easily handled a very rambunctious cromer 14 lb. steelhead that made several long runs. The drag was smooth and did what it's supposed to. My point: there probably isn't a reel out there that's bulletproof. Allens are very good reels for the money, and I have no complaints about the service I've received from the Allen Reel Co. They're good people, working hard to correct any problems that come up. Consider the Lockheed Martin F-35, guys, and count your blessings!