Allen fly reel's

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Feb 17, 2012.

1. I've never had any issues with their reels. I've got one of the new Alpha III's that I played around with in Hawai'i- didn't get any fish action on it to test it out, but it is solid and smooth and I like the new deign.
    For their price- being fully machined- you can't beat them.

2. Last year I had the drag go south on my Nautilus reel, and my fishing partner's Lamson fell apart while he was fighting a steelhead (he lost the fish). These are both good reels, and they cost a lot more than an Allen. I have three Allens, including a Kraken, and none has failed yet. The first time I used it my Kraken easily handled a very rambunctious cromer 14 lb. steelhead that made several long runs. The drag was smooth and did what it's supposed to. My point: there probably isn't a reel out there that's bulletproof. Allens are very good reels for the money, and I have no complaints about the service I've received from the Allen Reel Co. They're good people, working hard to correct any problems that come up. Consider the Lockheed Martin F-35, guys, and count your blessings!