Allen Olympic Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mort, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Mort Member

London, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Looking at the Allen Olympic Spey rod in a 6 or 7wt. Anyone have any experience with it? I would be using it for swinging for Steelhead, My current 8wt Loop seems a little too stiff for the size of fish in the river. Looking for something with a bit softer flex to it to even out the fight. My concern with going to the 6wt is that it would be too light of a rod for steelhead. i currently use a 6wt switch for bass fishing and could not imagine using it for the medium sized river for larger steelhead.
  2. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Hi Mort, and welcome to the Asylum. ;)

Think you may posted up a similar question 'elsewhere,' so this may just be a repeat of what you've already read. Rod choice is dependent on three major things. (Yes, yes, there are others too.) Size of and flow rate of the water, size of the fish you expect, and the size of the fly you want to chuck. Is a 6 or 7 too light for normal Steelhead fishing? Not in the least ... save for you're on the Skagit or Thompson (well, BIG WATER). There you need a rod with lots of 'umph.'

Normal flows, etc., you'll find that a 6wt is fine for lower water work (summer/fall) and you'll need to 'bump it up a bit' come winter/spring. With that in mind .... you can only go with one new rod ... take a 7. You can handle one hell of a fish on a 7wt 2hander.

Simi rule of the thumb is a given weight on a two hander is (roughly) two line weights over the same number in a 1hander. And by looking at the grain weights used to load one vs the other, that appears to have merit in most cases.

Fred
    Ed Call likes this.
  3. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +513 / 2
    I actually have an Allen Olympic 6wt that I haven't gotten to fish yet. Build quality is nice though, for whatever that is worth.
  4. Mort Member

London, Ontario, Canada
    Great info Fred. Thanks.
  5. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    I'd suggest checking out the Allen 12'6" 7wt.
    FlyOnTheBeach likes this.
  6. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I like that rod a lot as well and it's probably the darling of the line.

I also have the 12' 5wt and the 13'6" 8wt and enjoy both quite a bit. As a note the entire line is a touch on the soft side but not so much as to make them "noodley" which makes them really nice Skagit rods.

The 5wt can handle steelhead just fine so, depending on the size of the river, you shouldn't go wrong with either the 6 or 7 wt.

Thanks,
    Mort and yuhina like this.
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Agree with Ian !
    Those Allen rods are really awesome!! I have used the 5 weight and really love it! Despite the cheaper price, the performance is not "shy " at all. I agree the action is perfect for skagit, super user friendly.
    Ian Broadie and Mort like this.
  8. Mort Member

London, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Very much appreciated. Once I get the hole in my ceiling fixed that occurred the other day, (ooops) hopefully I'll have the funds to try out one of these rods.
    Ian Broadie likes this.
  9. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    Youtube how to do a 'California patch,' fix the hole yourself, and treat yous' to a new rod for being such a badass house fixin' ninja.
  10. Achilles Member

Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    The Allen Olympic 8 weight is a wonderful rod. Traditional flex, well built. The guys behind the Allen company are worth doing business with.
  11. Sean Matthews Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    The 7wt 12'6 is great. I used it all summer for Steel.
  12. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I just built a 6wt for a lady friend tested it out on the snake and grand rhonde. I didn't have the correct scandi line for it but it fished decently with the one I had (AFS 7/8 wt) I tried a bunch of skagit short heads from 420-600 grains and didn't like any of them, I felt the rod was too soft and the head was too short. I'd say the 6 wt is definately a skandi stick, perfect for summer runs on dry lines. I imagine it'd also excell fishing lighter longer skagit lines. I think I'd really love it for mousing too.

here's a shitty pic of my build
    [IMG]
  13. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +238 / 3
    I agree with AKPM about the 6wt. I picked one up this summer to use for summer runs. I didn't make it out to chase any, but during casting practice the rod throws a 6wt scandi short very nicely with minimal effort.
  14. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Is the Rio versitip the main option in a scandi short? And do you HAVE to buy it as a full line rather than a head?
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,701 / 2
    Scandi Short Versitip is my absolute favorite to run on the 12' and 12'6" Olympics. Such a sweet line.
    Sean Matthews and yuhina like this.
  16. Mort Member

London, Ontario, Canada
    Rio's Scandi short comes as a head in the straight floating head or the versitip head. Not a full line.
  17. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Not sure why I thought it was the full line. Probably the $120 price.

It appears that the options are the versitip or the head with floating tip. They are both listed as being the same length/weight. So I'm not sure if there is anything different about the versitip other than the three other tips, wallet, and costing $60 more.
  18. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Repeating myself here, but when you settle down on 'which rod' the next guy you want to call is Steve Godshall here in Medford, Oregon. Steve builds custom cut lines for 2handers (gather he may do the same for one handers). There probably isn't a 2hander built that he doesn't have the true spec's on same. What gets painted on the blank has damned little to do with much. Had the chance to see his reference book (all self generated numbers) and it had hundreds of rods listed.

That "7" could be a 6.8 or a 7.3 and line wise it makes a heck of a difference. Add to that he works in where you fish (type of water), what fish you'll be chasing, and your casting style. You and I have exactly the same rod, would be unusual if you and I got the (exact) same line. Best yet, it will not cost you a dime more than something off the shelf.

Lines can be ordered as 'just a head,' as a full line (with colour changes so you know the casting point vis a vis the rod tip), etc. On one of mine, knowing the rod length he spliced in a complete colour change in the top13-9 of the shooting line. Next cast? Just bring the 'orange bit' down to the cork. No looking at the rod tip, no fuss, just strip in to 'there' and let her rip.

fae
    yuhina and stilly stalker like this.
  19. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I really like casting an Airflo multi tip 8/9wt Delta on my 8wt allen. I can even bust out long casts that make me look like I know what I'm doing. Of course, the rod also throws a 600gr skagit compact with 10ft of T14 very nicely.
  20. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Good post Fred!

It seems Steve has figured out some consistent formula to tailor different lines to a designed rod. That said, a trained hand can cast variety of lines by adjusting different casting strokes... but it's really cool to see many people appreciate the good work from the line wizard! : )